X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission/overdrive troubles

Greetings everyone!

I recently saved a '60 Lark from an assured slow death by neglect. I gave said Lark to my wife as a 30th birthday present. Maybe it wasn`t the best idea.

I have done quite a bit to the car and thought all was well...well..it wasn`t. My big contention is the overdrive. It all seems to be in working order and clean. The freewheeling was working but not anymore. The overdrive was not.. is not. Linkage is fine and in adjustment

Now, reverse no longer cooperates. It slips..alot when engaged. It feels like the rear end, but there is also something grinding away in the transmission. It also gives one good clunk starting off in first since this reverse problem has arisen.

The car is equipped with the 259. It has the manual 3 speed with overdrive.

Any and most all replies or suggestions are appreciated!

Jason

1st-rev sliderclutch perhaps....

Comment

I could be speculating but check your motor mounts just to rule them out.
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Hmmmmmmmmm.... I'd be thinkin' "Sprag Clutch fried". Not a pretty scenario. In your attending to details of the car, did you add tranny oil to the REAR section of the tranny as well as the front section? [V]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe
        1957 President 2-dr
        1955 President State
        1951 Champion Biz cpe
        1963 Daytona project FS
        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I'll hope for a simpler, less costly problem. It could be that the cable has slipped on the overdrive lock-out. Normally, the lockout knob is pushed all the way in so that overdrive will engage above 30 mph or so. With the cable pulled out, the overdrive mechanism is prevented from working so your are always in direct 3-speed mode. If the cable clamp screw slipped, or something else came loose, you might be half-way in between. Check underneath that the cable and lever are making full travel to the end of the available motion in each direction.

Gary Ash
          Dartmouth, MA
          '48 M5
          '65 Wagonaire Commander
          '63 Wagonaire Standard
          Pictures and stories of Studebaker cars and trucks, including 1965 Wagonaire, 1963 Wagonaire, 1953 Commander Starliner, and 1948 M5 half-ton pickup truck. Test drive the Wagonaire. Stereo sound from 1965 music. Cars owned by Gary Ash, Dartmouth, Mass.
          Gary Ash
          Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
          ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
          '48 M5
          '65 Wagonaire Commander
          '63 Wagonaire Standard
          web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Comment

Thanks to all of you that have replied. Now that I`ve had another chance to go through suggestions and manual troubleshooting, I have narrowed things down a bit. Though I still feel no closer to knowing what is wrong.

The o.d. linkage appears to be traveling the proper distance both fore and aft.

The motor mounts seem to be holding their own.

I do not believe that the Lark is equipped with either a relay or a lockout on the o.d.. Is this "usual"?

I have no idea what a "slider" or a "sprag" clutch is or how to diagnose them.(I`m screwed, huh?!)

The fluid levels were slightly low.

The sound is not coming from the rear end. The driveshaft is not spinning when car is in reverse. The car will not move while in reverse. I can hear gears spinning and not catching coming from the tranny. The sound is as if the reverse gear is partially engaged. All forward gears engage normally.

Anyone have a T-86 with overdrive in Southern California?

Jason

Comment

There's no relay or reverse lockout on a Lark. That's correct.

If the car goes normally in the 3 forward gears, and makes noise as tho it's trying to move in reverse, possibly, the 1st-reverse rod from the column to the transmission is out of adjustment or maybe the rubber bushing in the transmission's lever for that rod is gone. ( I do see where you addressed this as all being in order though) Such slop would keep you from being able to move that lever all the way into reverse.

The grinding in reverse would indicate misadjustment or failed parts within the transmission section. But the fact you have no more freewheeling in the forward gears means something's askew with the OD section.
              Tough to troubleshoot something like this at a distance when your eyes and description are the only windows we have to see with.[}]
              If the shift levers are snapping into place as you cycle them and the rods are adjusted to attain full travel of each lever in both directions, I'd say you have no choice but to pull the tranny and have a look-see inside it by removing the top cover.
              It's not a fun task but it's not that complicated to pull that tranny down to see what's happening inside.[:I]

BTW, if you're looking for a T-86 to replace it with, make sure you get one from a '58 or later Stude. The '57 and earlier have a different tail end that wouldn't be compatible with your Lark.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe
              1957 President 2-dr
              1955 President State
              1951 Champion Biz cpe
              1963 Daytona project FS
              No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

jason...there is a possibility, based on your last comment that the 1st -rev sliding clutch is worn badly this is the gear that slides on the mainshaft to engage 1st or rev. based on where the stick and linkage are positioned. also a possibility that 1-r shift arm is
                partially stripped where it spline onto shift shaft.

Comment

Well.....shifting into reverse isn`t so smooth. It is a lil' more reluctant and doesn`t quite..."snap".

I have not really inspected the shift linkage as i have the o.d. linkage. I`m not quite sure what to look for on the shift linkage to ascertain the correct and full travel.

Comment

If the 1st-reverse slider clutch is the problem, wouldn`t that also effect the 1st gear?

Comment

Sounds a lot like the overdrive freewheel unit/pinion cage assembly![xx(]

The only way to find out for sure is to pull the transmission, and carefully remove the overdrive cover at the back of the trans (be sure to keep track of the yellow spring). I've had this happen on several cars. First freewheeling goes then it won't go anywhere, the trans always shift fine. Basically the pinion cage breaks allowing movement of the pinion bearings and you can guess the rest.

Comment

stude_s writes: " Sounds a lot like the overdrive freewheel unit/pinion cage assembly![xx(]"

Read that "Sprag Clutch".

Yesca, it could be possible for 1st gear to work OK but not reverse.

To check linkage travel, disconnect the fork from the 1st-Rev lever on the tranny. Then push that lever all the way up as far as it will go. You should get the lever to snap into reverse in good, positive fashion.
                        Now see if the shifter rod's fork (with the column shifter in the reverse position) will go back on, without you having to move that 1st-Rev lever on the tranny to accomodate the fit. If you can't - you need to adjust that fork until it DOES fit the lever when it's solidly in Reverse. Once so adjusted, make sure it can still go all the way to 1st as well. Then test drive it.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                        1960 Larkvertible V8
                        1958 Provincial wagon
                        1953 Commander coupe
                        1957 President 2-dr
                        1955 President State
                        1951 Champion Biz cpe
                        1963 Daytona project FS

Comment

*Update*

Thanks again for all the help. I think I`ve troubleshot all there is to throubleshoot externally and I still have not identified the problem. I`ll be pulling the transmission this weekend and crackin' it open. I will keep you all updated for your reference as well. Wish me luck!

jason

Comment

Another thing I discovered when test driving in forward gears is that the car attempts to freewheel when overdrive is not engaged and makes the same grinding noise as when placed in reverse. Thoughts...anyone?

Comment

Sprag Clutch. And you can't see it by just opening the tranny cover. This thing's located in the aft section of the tranny.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                              1960 Larkvertible V8
                              1958 Provincial wagon
                              1953 Commander coupe
                              1957 President 2-dr
                              1955 President State
                              1951 Champion Biz cpe
                              1963 Daytona project FS

Comment

Working...
                              X