X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• N8N
    replied
    Ayup.

Basically if you buy the high ratio TT unit, you can use a 3.92 or higher gearset.

If you bought a *low* ratio TT unit, you could still use the higher ratio gears, with a spacer. But it doesn't work the other way.

nate

--
    55 Commander Starlight
    62 Daytona hardtop
    http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

Leave a comment:

• dcoffield
    replied
    Is the gearcase part of the twin traction unit?

Leave a comment:

• Roscomacaw
    replied
    No, we're not talking about the outer housing, we're talking about the "gearcase". the thing that the ring gear bolts to. There's two different gearcases that fit inside the 44 housing. One accomodates the lower numerical gearsets (up thru 3.73 ratio) and and the other, the higher numerical gearsets (3.92 ratio and higher).

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President 2-dr
    1955 President State
    1951 Champion Biz cpe
    1963 Daytona project FS

Leave a comment:

• dcoffield
    replied
    I thought I was clear but now am confused again. Case change? Does that mean axel case? Currently have 3.31 gear. Can I put twin traction unit with 4.09 gear in what I have?

Leave a comment:

• big jim
    replied
    shore do resemble a "Detroit Locker" dont it Mr Biggs...

Leave a comment:

• Stude4x4
    replied
    In agreement with Biggs. Case change is between 3.73 and 3.92

-Home of John Studebaker-

Leave a comment:

• Roscomacaw
    replied
    The ratio break is between the 3.73 and the 3.92, so the 4.09 TT unit that Ted has should do the trick for you.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President 2-dr
    1955 President State
    1951 Champion Biz cpe
    1963 Daytona project FS

Leave a comment:

• dcoffield
    replied
    quote:Originally posted by dcoffield

Ok, I have a 3.31 gear axel now. Ted has a tt unit for the larger gear ratios and a 4.09 gear set. Can I put his tt unit with the 4.09 gear set in my axel?
    I just want to upgrade to twin traction and need to make sure I'm getting the right thing. I want to go to a larger number gear anyway, so what Ted has sounds attractive, if it will work for me.

Leave a comment:

• DEEPNHOCK
    replied
    I forget which ratio number is where the carrier changes, but here is why it is important to get the right one,
    The lower the ratio (higher the number) the smaller the pinion gets (fewer teeth). This means the ring gear has to be thicker to get the teeth over to the (now smaller) pinion gear to mesh. Sometimes a spacer plate can be added to move the ring gear over with a larger ratio (smaller number)carrier, but longer bolts are needed. I'd have to look it up, but IIRC, the split was around 3.43 for a carrier change. A 4WD shop may be able to help, as a ton of p/u's use the Dana 44....
    Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by dcoffield

Ok, I have a 3.31 gear axel now. Ted has a tt unit for the larger gear ratios and a 4.09 gear set. Can I put his tt unit with the 4.09 gear set in my axel?
    DEEPNHOCK at Cox.net
    '37 Coupe Express
    '37 Coupe Express Trailer
    '61 Hawk

http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock

Leave a comment:

• DEEPNHOCK
    replied
    Not so with the Powertrax.
    http://www.drivetrain.com/noslip.html
    It is designed so it can be adjusted.
    Granted, installing one in a junk diff will make for a more expensive junk diff, bit it can be done.
    But at $400+ for just the Power-Trax, your normal Stude/Dana alternatives are multiple.
    But for the guy who has a decent diff, this could be an alternative that wouldn't require a case spreader, a pinion depth guage, or a trip to the differential shop.
    However... I am not a fan of 'lockers', as they are too harsh for the street. Having run a Detroit locker around a while, they take a bit of thrashing to get them to lock up, and a bit of thrashing to get them to unlock. (You have to spin the tire(s) to lock it, and turn a corner to unlock it).. If you don't 'lock it', then when you drive, you are driving off one axle. The car/truck will pull slightly to one side under power and pull the other way inder decelleration. And going around a corner in the rain when it is 'locked up' is an experience to be avoided.
    That's why I like the multiple plate, and cone style limited slip diff's, like the Dana or the Auburn....
    Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by rusty nut garage

The problem with so called plug in lockers or limited slips is that the end result is only as good as the quality of the carrier was to begin with. Worn carriers can cause the locker to engage and disengage running straight down the highway. If the carrier is worn in the area where the side gears run or wear on the thrust washers (shims) behind the side gears. The other is machined center holes that are off, but close enough that no problems were ever encountered running the open rear end.
    Bottom line is carriers that were designed for lockers are machined to a tighter tolerance.
    Russ

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

I was looking into this a couple years ago. There's a unit called Powr-Trax (I think that's the name) that offered a limited slip insert that only required you take the back cover off the rear and pull the axles out a bit. The sucker's 'sposed to bolt right in and be good to go! Price was about $400 or less and they DID offer one for a 19-spline Type 44.
    I haven't followed thru on this and maybe never will since I found a TT rear to use where I wanted. Maybe someone else here knows of what I speak. Jeff?[8D]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President 2-dr
    1955 President State
    1951 Champion Biz cpe
    1963 Daytona project FS
    Russ Shop Foreman "Rusty Nut Garage"
    57 SH (project)
    60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)
    DEEPNHOCK at Cox.net
    '37 Coupe Express
    '37 Coupe Express Trailer
    '61 Hawk

http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock

Leave a comment:

• dcoffield
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Roscomacaw
    replied
    WOW is right. Let's hope he doesn't get caught up in any more nonsense like that![xx(]

BTW, I don't think you can simply change gears to adapt to that TT unit. A different gear case is required too. Or, maybe I'm reading more into it than there is.[:I]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President 2-dr
    1955 President State
    1951 Champion Biz cpe
    1963 Daytona project FS

Leave a comment:

• dcoffield
    replied
    This is way off the subject, but I just found out my brother was staying at the Hyatt Hotel in Amman Jordan. He had left the hotel for dinner about a hour before the terrorists blew up all those innocent people. Wow!

Leave a comment:

• dcoffield
    replied
    Yes he does. We've been direct emailing to work out the details. His tt is for larger ratios, so I've had to descide if I could go from 3.31 to 4.09 without problems. I'll probably adjust the tire size to compensate for some of it.

Leave a comment:

• Roscomacaw
    replied
    If I read it right, Ted says he HAS a 27-spline TT unit for dcofield's needs. That would be the easiest way to go.

And, no change of those seals should be necessary.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President 2-dr
    1955 President State
    1951 Champion Biz cpe
    1963 Daytona project FS

Leave a comment:

Working...
X