X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phantom Front Suspension Kit: First Impressions

Well, I mocked up my Phantom front end kit this weekend and wanted to
    report my first impressions. First off, Rene does a great job of
    labeling and organizing the parts so that it is easy to understand what does what and what goes where. The included instructions could benefit from a few more pictures but were for the most part straight forward and easy to understand. The components are top quality and well engineered with the exception of the front caliper brackets. When compared to those supplied in Jim Turner's rear disc kit, the Phantom front caliper brackets look and feel pretty wimpy. I may end up having some more heavy duty ones fabricated. My only other complaint would be the incosistancy in hardware as some of the lock washers and nuts were not zinc plated like the rest. I know this may seem picky but small details like this should not be an issue when paying a premium price for a product of this nature. Otherwise, with the exception of a little grinding on the rackmount bracket the kit fits like a glove. I opted for the dropped spindles and will be installing Shockwave air shocks up front to contol my ride height. In my opinion, this kit was well worth the money spent when compared to other avenues of front end modification. Rene has a good product and was a pleasure to do business with. Now if I can just get this car finished up so I can test this setup under driving conditions...stay tuned!

Check out these pics of the installation:

Problem with the pictures Will.

Comment

I think Webshots might be on the fritx again. Sometimes the pics load and sometimes they don't

Comment

You can't use the link to Webshots for the page you are on if you are logged in. You need to send an invitation to yourself to get the correct link from outside...
        Then you copy and post that link.
        Hope the info helps.
        Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by wcarroll@outrageous.net

I think Webshots might be on the fritx again. Sometimes the pics load and sometimes they don't
        DEEPNHOCK at Cox.net
        '37 Coupe Express
        '37 Coupe Express Trailer
        '61 Hawk

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Thanks Jeff. I assumed the problem was with Webshots as it was behaving strangely when I was uploading the pics.

Try this link:

Comment

Looking at the frame mods, wondering what drive train combination you are going to use?

53commander HDTP
            53 Champion HDTP
            61 Cursed Purple Hawk
            64 Champ long bed V8
            64 GT
            64 Champ long bed V8
            55/53 Studebaker President S/R
            53 Hudson Super Wasp Coupe

Comment

Link worked fine.
              Nice pic's....
              Nice work!
              Jeff[8D]

Thanks Jeff. I assumed the problem was with Webshots as it was behaving strangely when I was uploading the pics.

Try this link:

DEEPNHOCK at Cox.net
              '37 Coupe Express
              '37 Coupe Express Trailer
              '61 Hawk

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Thanks again Jeff -I'm just getting the feel for Webshots -so far I like it!

Hey Kdancy -I will be running an R1 Avanti motor with dished pistons, dual turbos, fuel injection, and a Borg Warner T5 5-speed tranny. The rear end is a Dana 44 out of a '63 Avanti that was supposedly wrecked in '64. Judging by the brake drums, backing plates, and lack of slop -I'de have to believe it. Thanks Studebob! I'll be doing lots of other neat stuff to the car. Really just going for a marriage of Studebaker style and performance -borrowing what I like from different models.

Comment

Will, You're welcome. Glad it's getting put to good use. It'd be a made into a set of Chinese jackstands by now if I hadn't hauled it home some years ago.
                  I'm envious of that front end stuff. Looks like it's gonna do fine. Thanks for sharing the pics with us.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                  1960 Larkvertible V8
                  1958 Provincial wagon
                  1953 Commander coupe
                  1957 President 2-dr
                  1955 President State
                  1951 Champion Biz cpe
                  1963 Daytona project FS
                  No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Thanks again Jeff -I'm just getting the feel for Webshots -so far I like it!

Hey Kdancy -I will be running an R1 Avanti motor with dished pistons, dual turbos, fuel injection, and a Borg Warner T5 5-speed tranny. The rear end is a Dana 44 out of a '63 Avanti that was supposedly wrecked in '64. Judging by the brake drums, backing plates, and lack of slop -I'de have to believe it. Thanks Studebob! I'll be doing lots of other neat stuff to the car. Really just going for a marriage of Studebaker style and performance -borrowing what I like from different models.
                    Looks like a really nice project!
                    Will the T5 hold up to the dual turbos? What type fuel injection are you using? What rear gear are you using? Lot's of questions !!

53commander HDTP
                    53 Champion HDTP
                    61 Cursed Purple Hawk
                    64 Champ long bed V8
                    64 GT
                    64 Champ long bed V8

Comment

I wouldn't use a T5 for that combination. Consider a Tremec TKO 600. I am installing one in my Bonneville Avanti with a modified Mcleod bellhousing. You can also install this on a standard bellhousing by using an adapter plate for the transmission if you use the Ford version of the transmission. I may make an adapter plate and installation kit in the future.

If you decide to keep the T5 expect to replace it a few times.

David L
                      David L

Comment

Kdancy -The jury is out on wether the T5 will hold up. I'm not building a race car here -just having fun doing something a little different. The rear end is a 3.31 but I think Studebob is still sitting on a set of 3.73 gears for me incase I need them. Alan got me going on the fuel injection so I will probably be running the Megasquirt kit with the Accel setup. I'm hoping Jeff Rice will be able to start cranking out those Mopar intake manifold adapters so I can use one as the platform for the FI system.

David L. -Do you know if the Tremec tranny has the same bolt pattern as the Ford T5? I am using a modified Studebaker truck bellhousing -it has a more surface area on the tranny mating side. I don't plan to race this car and if I ever did I figured I would need to swap the tranny and the rear axles as they will be the weakest links.

Comment

Studebob and Will. Could I use this same system (Phantom front end kit on my 1950 starlight. Roy

Comment

Kdancy -The jury is out on wether the T5 will hold up. I'm not building a race car here -just having fun doing something a little different. The rear end is a 3.31 but I think Studebob is still sitting on a set of 3.73 gears for me incase I need them. Alan got me going on the fuel injection so I will probably be running the Megasquirt kit with the Accel setup. I'm hoping Jeff Rice will be able to start cranking out those Mopar intake manifold adapters so I can use one as the platform for the FI system.

David L. -Do you know if the Tremec tranny has the same bolt pattern as the Ford T5? I am using a modified Studebaker truck bellhousing -it has a more surface area on the tranny mating side. I don't plan to race this car and if I ever did I figured I would need to swap the tranny and the rear axles as they will be the weakest links.
                            See Ted's - an all new intake would be great. posthttp://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/sdc_forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2224

53commander HDTP
                            53 Champion HDTP
                            61 Cursed Purple Hawk
                            64 Champ long bed V8
                            64 GT
                            64 Champ long bed V8

Comment

Here is a link with the Phantom Front Suspension kit info.

Roy -It says the kit will fit '51 and up. Not sure what is so different about '50 and earlier cars. Maybe some others could shed some light on this?

Comment

Working...
                              X