• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• auto trans from standard

Has any one put an automatic trany behind a 64 full flow Ov6 engine
    can his be done
    thanks
    John

Studebaker did it, so can you. The best way would be to find a six cylinder parts car with AT and swap everything over.

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
    64 GT Hawk
    64 R2 4 speed Challenger
    63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
    53 Street rod
    JDP Maryland

Comment

John,

Like JP says, all you need is all the pertinent parts. The biggest pain about it will be taking the engine pan off so you can change the 6 bolts in the rear of the crankshaft. That and aligning the bellhousing to the block.
      You'll need the automatic bellhousing, the torque convertor & flex plate, the tranny, the column and associated linkages, the proper rear engine mounts and a driveshaft. OH! And an automatic style starter too.[}]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe
      1957 President 2-dr
      1955 President State
      1951 Champion Biz cpe
      1963 Daytona project FS
      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

John,

My comments will probably get some folks upset, but......

The automatics that Stude put behind the OHV 6 engines in the 1964 Larks (except taxi and police use) were Borg-Warner Model 35s. These were a smaller aluminum case transmissions designed for lower hp engines. They are nowhere as robust as the cast iron Flightomatics used behind the V8s and earlier 6 cylinders.

This is where I will probably get some folks upset<G>:
        My experience and what I have heard from others is that these aluminum case Model 35 trannys were (and still are) quite troubleprone.

My suggestion would be to consider using an earlier iron case Flightomatic, since you are going to all the trouble of changing over to an automatic. I don't have access to my Parts and Shop manuals at the minute, and I cannot remember if the Model 35 was introduced in '63 or '64.

Incidently, I went the other way on my '64 Commander 6 cyl (36,000 car) and replaced the automatic with a 3 speed OD setup and a 4.27 ratio rear axle. IMHO, this was a significant improvement over the automatic.....much more peppy, and better mileage too. Unfortunately, I do not have any of the auto tranny parts left.

Paul

Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: http://hometown.aol.com/r1skytop/myhomepage/index.html
        Paul
        Winston-Salem, NC
        Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
        Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

63 saw the switch to the T35. But I'll weigh in here because I have had quite a bit of experience with this tranny.
          It was also '63 when Rambler started using this automatic behind their 6s. I've owned 3 full-sized Ramblers with the 232 6 and the T35 tranny. All served long a well without problem one. The things I did with the one '66 Classic station wagon should have brought that tranny to it's knees, but it never did!
          I HAVE heard that some of the trannies in '66 and earlier, full-sized Ramblers would develop cracked cases. But when you consider that the transmission case actualy bore most of the trust and braking exerted by the rear wheels (This because of the Rambler's enclosed drive shaft arrangement), you can see how the aluminum case of the T35 would have been the weak link between the engine and the rear wheels.
          Like I said tho, the stuff I put that one wagon thru should have brought out any weak points in the tranny and it never gave the slightest problem in the 9 or 10 years that I owned it. And it was already an 18-year old car when I acquired it![:0]
          That evidence persented, I'm with r1lark in that I'd rather have a 3spd O/D to work with.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe
          1957 President 2-dr
          1955 President State
          1951 Champion Biz cpe
          1963 Daytona project FS
          No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
          X