Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

289 Crankshaft

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 289 Crankshaft

Would it be possible to weld up the journals on ground crankshafts and then regrind them to standard size? Don't know if it has or can be done. Any sugestions?
    -Jake

-Home of John Studebaker-

Yes, it is possible, and yes, it does work, and yes, it is expensive.
    259 cranks are still cheap enough that the cost is a bit prohibitive.
    As the supply of 289 crankshafts dwindles, you will see this process used more and more.
    (as a side note, there is a reground ground (.010")289 crank on Ebay right now)
    Jeff (I remember buying a NOS 289 crank for $40 once) Rice[8D]

quote:Originally posted by Stude4x4

Would it be possible to weld up the journals on ground crankshafts and then regrind them to standard size? Don't know if it has or can be done. Any sugestions?
    -Jake

-Home of John Studebaker-
    DEEPNHOCK at Cox.net
    '37 Coupe Express
    '37 Coupe Express Trailer
    '61 Hawk

http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Another method of buildup, if you're only going .020" or .030" larger is "hard chrome", (or chrome only, without the nickle or copper). It's been used for many, many a year.
      The process is to simillar to welding in that a buildup of chrome is deposited on the surface, larger than required. The crank is then reground back to size. It's also a very hard surface.

Many don't realize that the treated hard surface of a crank is usually ground away if going over about .015" undersize. Then the surface is "relitivly" soft, compared to what it was.

Comment

Sasco has n.o.s. cranks for probably the same cost of having one redone..

Comment

I don't think SASCO has any 289 cranks tho. If they do, it's been a well-kept secret for many years.[:0][}]
          259 cranks? Yes. I even got a 224 crank from them not too long ago. But NOS 289 cranks would be a real prize to find. Any used/abused 289 cranks should be saved for future redemption![^]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe
          1957 President 2-dr
          1955 President State
          1951 Champion Biz cpe
          1963 Daytona project FS
          No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

OOps!! they are 259 cranks..sorry!![V]

Comment

Spray welding can be a disaster. The best method that Ive seen is furnace welding. Hank the crank has done thousands of Hemi cranks that seemed to hold together well. The procces is not cheap. The 3.25 stroke 259 crank is a great crank and the best choice if all else fails. A 289 crank turned .030 is OK, all these cranks exceed that of all of the early 283 -327 GM cranks. you arent going to loose any sleep over strenght issues, get it turned and tuftrided, balance your new engine and go for it!!!! Stroker cranks can be had by the purchace of GM raw forgings 3.75 stroke is no problem. SB chevy and Stude share same spacings . Studebaker cranks have also turned inside SB chevies, Documented in early Hot Rod. this was the cheapest way to stroke a chevy in the early 60s. Dont loose any sleep over crankshafts. Tom.

Comment

Did I read this correctly? That a GM crank can be installed in a stude block! Never heard of this swap. Can you clarify?

Start and Stage Your Studebakers
                Start and Stage Your Studebakers

Comment

Avanti 11 sec, Yes , The article that I have seen was an early hot Rod, the small Issues around 1958-thru-60. Stude stroker into Chevy., The raw forged unfinised Gm SB crank has enough material to get the job done. Tom

Comment

Hey Biggs! Do you still have those hipboots I loaned you?

Dwain G.

Comment

Yeah - I'm wearin' 'em right now.

I guess I'm a bit confused tho. Seems to me that a Fo*d 289 crank would be a shoe-in.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                      1960 Larkvertible V8
                      1958 Provincial wagon
                      1953 Commander coupe
                      1957 President 2-dr
                      1955 President State
                      1951 Champion Biz cpe
                      1963 Daytona project FS
                      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Hey guys, Ill locate the article. you may have to eat your gumboots, and that really is not a great way to start the day. har har, Tom

Comment

I understand the crank production is to grind the crank and then heat treat the steel. The process is a facinating to me. Grind the crank, then a gig is set up so a flame is focused on each and every journal at the same time; then the heat/flame revolves around the journals untill they are HOT and at the proper temperature. Then the entire crank is dunked in a cold bath. Heat the treated journal surface is ready to be polished.

Comment

Nodular Iron, and steel use are handled differently. nodular iron is easier to deal with than hard steel. Steel takes alot more effort to get right due to molecular density. purchace a new crank thats done right is your best insurance. Any of the NOS 259 cranks are really great items, the sacrifice in cubic inches is not going to make you cry if you have a 3.655 bore. you get 273 inches and when the rest all comes together by good careful prep youll never know it wasnt a 289-304. Tom.

Comment

You have given me something to do this weekend. I'm going out to my garage and going to put a Stude crank in a Chev. and a Chev crank in a Stude motor and let you know how they fit. And on the hardening of the cranks they put them in an oven, take them to a certain temp. then pump the oven with gas to cool them. The surface hardening is only 2 of 3 thousands thick.

Comment

Working...
                              X