Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So. Back to my original question. Hey Alan, just so I get this straight. I would order the Accel DFI from summit, then 85 up injectors for a Mustang. Then where & what exactly do I order from Mega Squirt? Its the control unit that I get right? Thanks. If this will work I'll go with it. I don't have a problem with modifying my manifold for the port injection. Its the best way to go.
    -Jake

-Home of John Studebaker-

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Stude4x4

So. Back to my original question. Hey Alan, just so I get this straight. I would order the Accel DFI from summit, then 85 up injectors for a Mustang. Then where & what exactly do I order from Mega Squirt? Its the control unit that I get right? Thanks. If this will work I'll go with it. I don't have a problem with modifying my manifold for the port injection. Its the best way to go.
      -Jake

Jake,
      I think Barlow Sopher has a FI Avanti. He is running a lot of HP but it is a streetable car. He writes some of the articles in Turning Wheels, the "modified" section.

53commander HDTP
      53 Champion HDTP
      61 Cursed Purple Hawk
      64 Champ long bed V8
      64 GT
      64 Champ long bed V8
      55/53 Studebaker President S/R
      53 Hudson Super Wasp Coupe

Comment

The Mega Squirt can be run even with points it is stand alone. If you want to run a Mega Squirt-Mega Spark unit for electronic ignition, a little more money. The Mustang injectors can be picked up cheep don't have to buy new ones first. The biggest hassel of the whole thing is the fuel pump and lines. Read Mega Sparks pages and check their forum it will answer most questions you would have, I printed out the manual myself because there is so much to read.

Comment

Hi Jake, I have seen and heard some horror stories concerning what some people are trying to do. Injection is fine, and there are some non-computer hassle free units being built. the whole secret is keep your intake runners short if you are running a paxton or turbos. short runners reduce lag. presure up a tall tunnel ram with twin holleys and hope you have life insurance if things go sour.The flame show will equal that of a jet dragster, but in your face. Studebaker used a dual 4 low profile intake with twin paxtons and it worked far better than expected. Edelbrock has the finest team of people that can custom provide you with the correct injector for your application, weld on bosses and fuel lines. I would use a modified SB chrysler LD 340 edelbrock intake and the edelbrock Pro-jection system. your throttle response will be crisp, economy can be better than you expected, as you can turn pro-jection up or down. Also install a reground Colt cams camshaft W/113.5 lobe separation and 450 lift. its the C-215-S cam profile. These cams pull hard with a Paxton that is healthy. 7lbs boost is plenty. A GT hawk owner that I talked to 2 years ago found that his car ran better without the paxton. It was just too much for him when it started boosting. He ran the C-215-S cam and 4 speed trans WOW!!!!!!! Use proven methods , and you cant go too far wrong. Tom.

Comment

Tom,

Where in Canada are you located? I'm near Trochu, Alberta.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Hi Gord, Iam living in Nanaimo on Vancouver Island. Tom.

Comment

Tom,

I know Nanaimo; have friends there, in fact. last time I was there was last year at Christmas time, passing through on the way to/from my sister's cabin on Sonora Island.

Comment

Hi Gord, If you ever Pass through this area again Please Let us know . We lived in Southwest Saskatchewan a few years back, The area you live in is very nice, I bet that youll find some nice early studes sitting around. Getting back to Injection,,,, The original problems may not be related to the carbs., Cylinder heads getting tired, heavy leakdown, I have always seen great results with any of the carb and paxton factory setups. fuel pressure problems have been one headache for many stude owners., using a pressurized system enclosed carb seems to give better results. A tired engine just doesnt respond well to being force fed. Tom.

Comment

Just my two cents worth. I believe there is some confusion about the TBI information given. I know for sure that GM TBI uses a MAP sensor and they are available for turbocharged applications. I don't have all the details at hand at the moment but I have been researching this for use on Datsun Z cars. I agree that port injecton is preferable but TBI in most cases is an easier conversion. I am working with GM controls but have also looked into mega surt which can work with either TBI or port and uses a MAP sensor.

Comment

The types of Injection mentioned are both good. The Edelbrock Pro-jection unit is my choice due to simplistic installation and overall performance reliability. GMs units are great aswell, Installation will be alot longer, but worth the effort, and providing you match up all other aspects correctly. Proms may be a hassle. Edelbrock also custom provides you with all the correct advice to match your requirements, just E-mail the Tech crew, or phone them. They are really geared up for both injection systems and can get you started in the right path. Direct port injection will meet you your best overall power requirements, however keep your runners on the short side when turbocharging or other forms of boost, as lag time gets to be an issue with longer runners. All fuel injection systems require quality fuel filtration. Dont scrimp here go with water-separtor spin on filter. Mercruiser makes good filter housings and filters. Tom

Comment

I think the TBI comment was directed at my early comment about them not using MAP sensors, or other types of flow sensors. Almost all of the early after-market units and some still today, such as the Holley Pro-jection, (Tom, Edelbrock makes fuel injection systems but Holley makes the Pro-Jection ones) did or do not use MAP sensors, only TPS (throttle position sensors) to regulate the fuel flow. I know this since I used to have one. As Alan has pointed out, the Mega Squirt, and other TBI's now offer MAP setups. Those without MAP sensors should not be used for any boosted system since they cannot detect fuel flow and a lean situation could easily result. I consulted Holley when I was thinking about running a Pro-Jection on a Paxton boosted truck and that is what they told me. For my Turbo Stude truck project I plan to use a port injected setup, which I think is the way to go for this setup, but the TBI is cheaper and easier to setup.

Dan White
                        64 R1 GT
                        64 R2 GT
                        Dan White
                        64 R1 GT
                        64 R2 GT
                        58 C Cab
                        57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

Dan you are correct its Holley, and the map sensor issues come into play.. The Holley 1000 CFM,MPI system depends on Map,Air temp, Oxegen and coolant temp. makes it impossible to boost this unit.unless there was some type of way to electronically make the system work. Your last suggestion sounds the best. Have fun , Tom.

Comment

I rebuilt my car again and made some adjustments and it seems a little better. This week I think I'll load the trailer up again and try pulling 8,000 lbs and see how it acts this time. I have decided that this winter I'm going to install a port injection system. I think its the only way to go, especially on turbocharged engines.

Comment

Working...
                            X