Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Fuel Injection

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Fuel Injection

    I am looking for a fuel injection unit for my blown 289's. Carburators aren't doing it for me. Cold blooded in the mornings and flat spots. I have played with three different Carter AFB's and it's not working. Right now one truck has a repo R-3 intake manifold. Another one will have a Weiand or Edelbrock manifold for a chrysler. Any suggestions? Quick info, this is for my trucks that I use for towning a lot. It needs to withstand boost for longer periods of time instead of when racing. Thanks.
    Jake

  • #2
    You will need to go with a port injection setup since the throttle body jobs cannot detect flow and can cook the engine under boost. Here are a couple of sources:

    http://www.customefis.com/index.html (John makes both TBI and Port) I am getting a TBI from John for my '79 Jeep pickup.

    HP Works of Colonial Beach - Colonial Beach, VA - (804) 214-9063 These guys will inject anything, from snowmobiles to hi po drag machines. They do a great job. I intend on using them for by Stude truck injection setup.

    Dan White
    64 R1 GT
    64 R2 GT
    Dan White
    64 R1 GT
    64 R2 GT
    58 C Cab
    57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

    Comment


    • #3
      If and when you are ready to look at the Chrysler setup.....
      Give me a shout.
      I have one ready and available right now.
      Some pic's are at:
      http://community.webshots.com/album/261617088MGywcK



      Jeff[8D]


      quote:Originally posted by Stude4x4

      I am looking for a fuel injection unit for my blown 289's. Carburators aren't doing it for me. Cold blooded in the mornings and flat spots. I have played with three different Carter AFB's and it's not working. Right now one truck has a repo R-3 intake manifold. Another one will have a Weiand or Edelbrock manifold for a chrysler. Any suggestions? Quick info, this is for my trucks that I use for towning a lot. It needs to withstand boost for longer periods of time instead of when racing. Thanks.
      Jake
      DEEPNHOCK at Cox.net
      '37 Coupe Express
      '37 Coupe Express Trailer
      '61 Hawk

      http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock
      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

      Jeff


      Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain



      Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

      Comment


      • #4
        Jeff,

        Nice job.
        How much are you going to ask for your spacers? Or are you only selling the spacer set and manifold as a package?

        Thanks

        Mike

        Comment


        • #5
          If you are going to a port injection setup the manifold design is not as critical as it is with a TBI or carb since a port setup is not a wet-flow system, it just is a way to duct air to the intake. The injector is at the base of the manifold runner. You could just use the R3 manifold and have injector bosses welded or threaded into the manifold runners.

          Dan White
          64 R1 GT
          64 R2 GT
          Dan White
          64 R1 GT
          64 R2 GT
          58 C Cab
          57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

          Comment


          • #6
            Summit has an Accel DFI 74135B (0 30999 24135 1) T.B.I. (w/o electronics) for $325 it is a high pressure unit that you can put 85 up Mustang injectors in. Then go to Mega squirt and get their circuit boards and softwhare. For around $700 you can have a nice fuel injection set up.

            Comment


            • #7
              I'm going to make my own spacers for the chrysler manifold. Last night on ebay I bought a Weiand Stealth manifold for a 318/340/360. I was told to get just the 318 but since it is listed with the others it should work right? Or am I wrong?

              Comment


              • #8
                Alan, you cannot use a TBI with a blown system, unless you have some secondary electonics to detect flow. A TBI uses a throttle position sensor, not a Mass flow sensor.

                Dan White
                64 R1 GT
                64 R2 GT
                Dan White
                64 R1 GT
                64 R2 GT
                58 C Cab
                57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

                Comment


                • #9
                  Dan, go to http://members.shaw.ca/megasquirt/manual/mtune.htm
                  Then click on Mega Squirt manual

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Thanks for the info Alan. From what I have had time to read the Megasquirt system for a blown application must use a MAP (mass absolute pressure) sensor which is not common on TBI setups. This allows the system to measure manifold pressure and accordingly the boost. It also appears that Megasquirt is setup for up to 10 injectors, thus making it useable for port injection setups and it appears the way the diagrams are drawn that multiple injectors are commonly used. Megasquirt is only the controller so you could do either TBI or Port. The term throttle body is used generically in many references and does not necessarily refer to a TBI (throttle body injection). If you are going for max performance port injection is the way to go. A TBI system is still a wet-flow system and depends upon the manifold design (although less than a carb setup due to better atomization of the fuel) to deliver the fuel/air mix to the intake.

                    Dan White
                    64 R1 GT
                    64 R2 GT
                    Dan White
                    64 R1 GT
                    64 R2 GT
                    58 C Cab
                    57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      When you buy the Mega Squirt boards for $225 you also get the pre programed microcontroller and the MAP sensor. The Accel DFI comes with fuel rails some lines and fittings it is 750 CFM and has a TP sensor all set on the side.For $325 it is almost a give away compaired to some of the others I have checked out. This is for the old Heath kit people still around that are also CF Stude owners. It's a low buck do it yourself all the way. You can go crazy with port injection with screw in injector bungs and there are also press in ones that can be welded in too. But 4X was looking for a bolt on, and with his application with the Turbo would be the quickest and cheepest.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        $400 for the pair of adapters the way they are...
                        You can modify an air gap manifold easy enough.
                        This manifold is selling for $189 on Ebay all the time.
                        But......
                        The price may soon be coming way down on the adapter plates....
                        My steel fab guy was just over in the big city buying a water jet cutting machine. I 'teased' him about doing the port cutouts for me on these adapter plates. Then all I would have to do is make two angle cuts and drill some holes.
                        Wee shall see....
                        Jeff



                        quote:Originally posted by Mike Van Veghten

                        Jeff,

                        Nice job.
                        How much are you going to ask for your spacers? Or are you only selling the spacer set and manifold as a package?

                        Thanks

                        Mike
                        DEEPNHOCK at Cox.net
                        '37 Coupe Express
                        '37 Coupe Express Trailer
                        '61 Hawk

                        http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock
                        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

                        Jeff


                        Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain



                        Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          quote:Originally posted by Stude4x4

                          I'm going to make my own spacers for the chrysler manifold. Last night on ebay I bought a Weiand Stealth manifold for a 318/340/360. I was told to get just the 318 but since it is listed with the others it should work right? Or am I wrong?
                          Ted Harbit, Jim Lange and Dave Levesque-- all who have raced Studebakers told me not to use the large port 340-360 manifolds as they lost ET when they tried them over the small port 318. They are all the same bolt pattern and will bolt up to 318-360 as it is basicaly the same engine. As one of the above fellows described to me - you can go from small to large port, but it is when you go from the large to small port (360 size port size manifold to smaller Stude size intake ports in the head) that performance is lost. I made my plates up staying with the 318 port size.
                          64 Champ long bed V8
                          55/53 Studebaker President S/R
                          53 Hudson Super Wasp Coupe

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I completely disagree....
                            Ted was speaking about a spyder type open plenum manifold.
                            I can't comment on DL, because I have never seen him do any manifolds, or any adapters. Shoot, I couldn't even get him to do any heads for me, and I put the cores in his hands for over two years.....
                            I can't comment on Jim Lange either, as I have not seen his pieces....
                            But I won't poo-poo an idea just because someone says something somewhere, sometime...
                            Let's build up an idea and flog the snot out of it.
                            The setup that I built is not the huge port manifold setup and the port size is very close to the Stude port size (if you gasket match it). The manifold I chose to use is also a dual plane intake with a divider plenum. I have inspected Ted's extra setr of adapters and mine were built up using the heads and the manifold as a guide.
                            It will work just fine.
                            Jeff[8D]




                            quote:Originally posted by Kdancy

                            quote:Originally posted by Stude4x4

                            I'm going to make my own spacers for the chrysler manifold. Last night on ebay I bought a Weiand Stealth manifold for a 318/340/360. I was told to get just the 318 but since it is listed with the others it should work right? Or am I wrong?
                            Ted Harbit, Jim Lange and Dave Levesque-- all who have raced Studebakers told me not to use the large port 340-360 manifolds as they lost ET when they tried them over the small port 318. They are all the same bolt pattern and will bolt up to 318-360 as it is basicaly the same engine. As one of the above fellows described to me - you can go from small to large port, but it is when you go from the large to small port (360 size port size manifold to smaller Stude size intake ports in the head) that performance is lost. I made my plates up staying with the 318 port size.
                            DEEPNHOCK at Cox.net
                            '37 Coupe Express
                            '37 Coupe Express Trailer
                            '61 Hawk

                            http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock
                            HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

                            Jeff


                            Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain



                            Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Another thing to remember..........

                              Isn't experimentation what makes this hobby / sport what it is?

                              "I've always done it this way"....or...."so and so told me to do it this way".....

                              All that does stagnate learning process. To me anyway...it's fun to learn ways to make things go faster that people say "it can't be done this way because...." Sometimes I fail, usually I can squeek a little more out of an engine with just little things. The DETAILS are what many seem to miss.

                              With all due respect to the many that have come before me....the old proverb still stands true....."there are many ways to skin a cat"!

                              The ol "out of the standard box thinking" if you will.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X