• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• taking off steering wheel and wheel adaptet

first question is how do i get the steering wheel off of my 50 champ

ive tryed every thing but a steering wheel puller
    will a wheel puller work ........ it doesnt appear to me like it would

second does anyone know what the number is for the grant adapter for a 50 champ with a stock column

thanks

The Studebaker shop manual calls for a special puller for this job. I think Mr. Biggs has a solution for this one, and hopefully he will check in with it.

The '50 Champion has a tubular column shaft to accomodate the horn wire. The tubular threaded area is fragile, so don't beat on it.

Is there any kind of a gap between the base of the wheel and the housing for the signal switch/shifter mechanism? If so, you could probably use a bearing separator, combined with a puller made to use two bolts to pull on the threaded holes provided in the bearing separator for that purpose. You can often find such tools at a rental shop, and some automotive parts dealers may have them to rent.

I would try the bearing separator myself if faced with the same problem. Thread the steering wheel nut on the shaft flush with the end of the thread, and then find the largest bolt you can find that will fit in the end of the shaft, and use that for your puller screw to push against.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands
    Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

I am not sure they are the same, but for my '58 Silver Hawk the Grant installation kit is 4291. Got mine from Sumitt Racing. Under $20.

Comment

They are not the same. The steering wheel spline changed in the 1957 model year. I think a few of the lower trim level cars used the earlier style stuff, they must have had some left over. I don't think there is an adapter made for the shafts used on 55-56 cars, and I also don't know if the 1950 uses the same spline on the shaft. (haven't personally had to worry about anything earlier than 1955.)

warning - thread hijack:

I have a '55 coupe with Saginaw PS. Would it be possible, were I able to locate same, to use, say, a '57 steering column, jacket, etc. with my '55 steering box? Was thinking it might be nice to get a nice aftermarket steering wheel. Also IIRC the later wheels had more "dish" and the column was shorter, wondering if I might be able to use an aftermarket wheel with the later column and end up with a wheel farther away from the seat? If I adjust the seat so my feet are comfortable, the steering wheel feels a little close. How late was the Saginaw PS box used, anyway?

nate

--
        55 Commander Starlight
        62 Daytona hardtop
        --
        55 Commander Starlight
        http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

AFAIK, the Saginaw PS box was used through '57 and maybe some '58. I installed a setup from a '57 hawk in my '53 hardtop and wanted the earlier steering column so the car would have the stock '53 steering wheel. I had to build it up from a combination of NOS and modified parts. The outer post jacket or tube is shorter on the '57 and also there is a difference down where it attaches to the steering box. This also goes for the steering shaft rubber bushings down there. The difference has to do with the horn wires. The older ones have that slip ring with brush down by the steering box and the later don't. The box itself is the same so assuming you can find all the later parts, it should be reworkable. I think the '57 steering shaft would work with the slip ring stuff too so another thought is keep your current horn stuff and modify your post jacket/sleave. I never found the earlier one of those and cut the '57 one in half and welded a pc in to lengthen in. I also had to modify the end by the box to fit the contact brush. I found NOS steering shaft and shift tube as well as the top collar and horn slip ring parts and rubber bushings. The later parts may be available NOS too. A real good read of the parts book is manditory!

Jeff

'53 Champion Hardtop

Jeff in ND

Comment

Is the '50 Champ wheel similar to the Ccab steering wheel?
            Jeff

quote:Originally posted by gotti210

first question is how do i get the steering wheel off of my 50 champ

ive tryed every thing but a steering wheel puller
            will a wheel puller work ........ it doesnt appear to me like it would

second does anyone know what the number is for the grant adapter for a 50 champ with a stock column

thanks
            DEEPNHOCK at Cox.net
            '37 Coupe Express
            '37 Coupe Express Trailer
            '61 Hawk

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Easiest thing to do is make a small plug to fit in the shaft center for the puller to push on. The spline should be 13/16" - 36 same as GM power stearing. But best to measure anyway. And the Grant adapter kit is # 3401.

Comment

ok lemmee get this straight ALAN
                with the thread hijack i kinda got lost there

the adapter for a 50 champ is 3401

and u also said to use a steering wheel puller and make a plug to let the center bolt push against

Comment

Gotti,

If you're trying to save that wheel proceed with extreme caution! If you aren't and it's a Type C wheel in good shape proceed with extreme caution anyway because I need one.

Try a good penetrating lube like Kroil first and then use a rocking motion while pulling on the wheel. A prayer or two at this point wouldn't hurt. If this doesn't work you are in for a tough time because those wheels are fragile and force is not the answer.

I have been down this road with my 50 and know from experience that the wheel can not be taken off with a steering wheel puller. Further, I have tried a bearing seperator and due to the lack of space it didn't work either. The shop manual shows a special tool that is required because the wheel doesn't have a metal backing to screw a puller into. The puller shouldn't be hard to make and it's worth the time because you will spend at least as much time trying things that don't work otherwise.

I wish I had a surefire tip for you but the sad reason for my experience is that I didn't have a puller and my efforts destroyed the wheel to the point that I had to cut it off with a dremmel.

Make a puller or find someone with a puller to lend.

Good luck!

Gerry

Comment

N8N, the Saginaw PS unit was used in the Packard Hawks and I believe in the 58 Golden Hawks. I believe that was the end of the Saginaw offset units.

Mike

Comment

Hello, I live just outside of Placerville, Ca. In your shop manual, you will find a picture of a wheel puller. I have that same puller which is shown in your book. If you are close, we can pull it off. Please advise. And yes, You can use this puller to pull the steering wheel off a stude truck. 1949 - 1953 Trucks. I used my steering tool puller on my 1950 starlight, 1950 stude sedan, 1949 stude truck. You use to see them on ebay. Please advise.

Comment

Gotti, If you are around the L.A. area or can wait for a week or so to pull the wheel off. I would do it for you or make you a plug and send it to you.

Comment

A flywheel bolt makes a good plug for a steering wheel puller, I have found.

BTW Grant's web site lists #4401 as superceding #3401 and that is only listed for 57-66 vehicles. I don't know what spline a 50 is, but the #4401 definitely will not work on a 55 or 56.

nate

--
                          55 Commander Starlight
                          62 Daytona hardtop
                          --
                          55 Commander Starlight
                          http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

well guys thanks but im in texas
                            so i dont think you lending me the puller is in the question

gecoe-- thanks for the tips if youve got a pic of that wheel your looking for send it to me
                            MRAMOS@GRANDECOM.NET
                            and ill see what i can do about finding you one
                            i know where theres a junkyard here in texas thats got alot of old studes in it or who know maybe ill seperate with mine (slim chances but who knows)

also if you guys have any pics of this puller in the shop manuel send em , maybe i can make one (im a machanist by trade shadetree by night)

ive already tried moving the nut all the way to the top of the threads and using two big screwdriver from the underside (like prybars) and wacking the center post with a big sledge --- and of coare no luck or i wont be here typing this

but i did not try penetrating oil so maybe if time permits ill wack it some more tomarrow

(that last line sounds kinda nasty if your mind is in the wrong place)

Comment

If you can run a lathe take a piece of 3/4" aluminum bar stock turn it to .610" for .300" then cut it off at .625", put the .610" end back in the lathe and square the end and put a small divot in it with a starting drill to center the puller. It takes longer to type this than to do it.
                              And it depends wheather you mean whack or whank.

Comment

Working...
                              X