Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Vacuum advance for Delco distributer

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vacuum advance for Delco distributer

I have a warmed over 1957 Commander 259 in an M-5 truck. I converted the Delco distributer to electronic ignition using a Mallory kit for an Olds/Delco distributer. It works fine and has for a couple of years but now the 48-year old factory vacuum advance has failed. The factory warrenty doesn't seem to be any good any more, the parts store laugh at me and Studebaker vendors say change to a custom distributer for around $300.00. Any ideas?

Try again at NAPA. Tell them you want an Echlin #VC395 vacuum control unit. The number may have been superceded, but that's what you are looking for.

BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

The Echlin VC395 vacuum advance number originally for my Delco distributer now is for a 1978 Toyota. NAPA says it was never superceded and basically told me where to go (NAPA has been going downhill in my area for several years). I tried several other stores with similar, but friendlier results. Any other ideas?

Comment

Napa has always had the best, I think the Auto Zone and O'Riley's are a difficult problem for NAPA , the price difference.

Comment

Hey JJ
          I've been trying to find somebody with a Stude V/8 in a M-Series truck. Would you happen to know how much it weighs?? I'm thinking about V/8ing one for the dragstrip. I think it will be lighter than my 63 Lark sedan.

Thanks
          Gordon

Comment

I too, had VC395 as the number for that vacuum modifier unit on the early Delcos. I also had VC725 for the window Delco distributor.

Well, this thread prompted me to stop at the local NAPA on a trip to town today. Fella checked the computer and I checked the big catalog that has illustrations of what each part looks like.
            VC395 & VC725 are NO LONGER listed in the inventory of NAPA. Not locally or in the warehouse system!
            The closest thing I could find was a superceded # for the Chevybaker window distrbutor's vacuum unit. But that's not gonna help you with the earlier Delco.
            I'd bet a buck to a cop's donut that one of our vendors will have a unit tho.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe
            1957 President 2-dr
            1955 President State
            1951 Champion Biz cpe
            1963 Daytona project FS
            No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by laughinlark

Hey JJ
              I've been trying to find somebody with a Stude V/8 in a M-Series truck. Would you happen to know how much it weighs?? I'm thinking about V/8ing one for the dragstrip. I think it will be lighter than my 63 Lark sedan.

Thanks
              Gordon

Comment

I don't know what the truck weighs, but with the 259, an R-1/2 cam, a little headwork (1.86 intake valves, etc.), and an Edelbrock AFB clone, it scats pretty good.

jj

quote:Originally posted by laughinlark

Hey JJ

Thanks
                Gordon

Comment

Working...
                X