Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Hawk Power Steering

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawk Power Steering

I have a 63 Hawk R1, and just bought a power steering set up for it. Has anybody hooked one of these up before? IT appears simple and straight-forward enough, but that's what I thought about my ceiling fan!! Anything to watch out for?

Thanks!

Make sure you got a Hawk reach rod with that setup. Lark's are different. Also, make sure you get the hoses hooked up right. It's hell when you fire it up the first time and have the slave cylinder drive the wheels the opposite way that you turn them! Wham!
    I've seen it happen![xx(]

Pay attention to the hoses clearing the exhaust manifold too. I wrapped the one's on my Lark with a flat, woven stuff (like asbestos, but it's not) that they use on boiler doors.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President 2-dr
    1955 President State
    1951 Champion Biz cpe
    1963 Daytona project FS
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Mr. Biggs is right about the hoses. Get the shop manual and make sure the right hoses go to the right holes. Also, I had much better luck with leaks when I started using a tube wrench(also called flare fitting wrench). Regular wrenches just won't get those fittings tight enough.

Comment

Thanks for the advice... I will be careful with the hoses. I am prepping the parts now. One question that comes to mind, do I need to have a power steering column, or will my manual work?

Comment

Your steering box is used for manual or PS. There's some differences for various models that use this Bendix setup, but not on any of the Hawks. You should be good-to-go in that department!

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe
          1957 President 2-dr
          1955 President State
          1951 Champion Biz cpe
          1963 Daytona project FS
          No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
          X