This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '62 Hawk quirks

Lately, when I acelerate, I get a groaning and creaking sound from the rear end of the Hawk.It sounds awful like something is shifting that shouldn't. Any ideas?
    Also, if I accelerate hard from a stop there is no problem but if I try the same thing but from a stop turning a curner the engine balks like it is not getting enough gas and I have to back off. Any Ideas?

John

'62 Hawk
    '30 Chev Coach

quote:Originally posted by johnesmonde

Lately, when I acelerate, I get a groaning and creaking sound from the rear end of the Hawk.It sounds awful like something is shifting that shouldn't. Any ideas?
    Also, if I accelerate hard from a stop there is no problem but if I try the same thing but from a stop turning a curner the engine balks like it is not getting enough gas and I have to back off. Any Ideas?

John

'62 Hawk
    '30 Chev Coach
    Check the servicing of the rear end John. It sounds like you have a TT, (posi), rear end and it's pretty low on lube and/or binding due to some mechanical issue. Also, make sure to use the correct TT lube in it.

If it IS a TT rear end and if the lube is low, service it on level ground, until the lube just barely drips out of the fill hole, check the rear end out as outlined below, (put it on jack stands), test drive it.

If you find that the lube is serviced right up, put jack stands under the axle tubes, outboard towards the wheels, so the tires completely clear the ground, pop the rear cover off and using a magnet, see if you have metal filings in the bottom of the housing, (metal filings will also look like a neat metallic streak in the lube itself). If you have metal, of course it has to be fixed/replaced.

If no metal evident, flush it with cheap motor oil, use rags, a blow gun and elbow grease to clean the old goop, lube and motor oil out of every nook and cranny that you can reach. Then, inspect what you can see of the internal components, although you can't really see too much of the TT components in the clutch pack, but you can look for obvious damage, (ring gear, pinion, bearings, etc.). There's a great section for checking/troubleshooting rear ends in your service manual, (too long for here).

NOTE: NEVER, EVER use any solvent of any kind inside the rear end housing, even to flush it out. You simply can't get all of the solvent out of all the components and the remaining solvent will break down the new lube that you'll be putting in it, (don't ask me how I know diesel fuel will ruin a good rear end [:I]).

In any event, if it's a TT rear end or not, BEFORE you test drive it, put it on jack stands, rotate BOTH wheels and listen for weird sounds, grinding, up/down/in/out play of the wheels, etc.. Check the u-joints, pinion, spring mount bushings, u-bolts, just everything you can see and wiggle while you're under there. See service manual too.

Hope you figure it out soon John, I'd definitely get it checked out before I drove it any more. Hope this helps, please let us know what you find....

Sonny
    Sonny
    http://RacingStudebakers.com

Comment

quote:Originally posted by johnesmonde

John

'62 Hawk
      '30 Chev Coach
      John - I have a broken leaf in the left rear spring on my '63 Hawk. It squeaks a lot. Your problem sounds worse than that. If you are getting some shifting, check the spring bushings, especially the rear ones. When they go, you get metal on metal and noise, but also some side shifting.

If you have a Carter WCFB 4-barrell carb on your engine, that balking when you turn a corner while accelerating from a stop is likely due to the carb. Every one I ever had did that, always when turning the same direction. It was to the left, I believe. I have played with float settings, but I have never gotten rid of it entirely. I think the carb rebuild kits say you can fix this problem by putting a hollow tube in one of the holes between the top and bottom halves of the carb. I did that on the WCFB I put on my '64 Cruiser. That helped some, but it still will starve for fuel if I really push it when turning as I accelerate.

Dale

Comment

The first, cheapest check I would do is motor mounts. Rule them out before spending more time and money. They can affect suspension, u-joints,shift linkeage, throttle, etc., etc.
        Brad Johnson,
        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
        '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Thanks to all, I will check everything according to your advice. Sonny , It is not a TT rear end. Much appreciated!

John

'62 Hawk
          '30 Chev Coach
          sigpicJohn Esmonde
          Holland Landing, Ontario
          Canada
          \'62 Hawk
          \'60 Lark Regal Convertible
          \'30 Chev Coach

Comment

Working...
          X