Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Fender

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender

I am looking for a drivers side back fender for a 1951 Commander. I am in West Central Illinois. Also does anyone have any ideas on re chroming parts or is it possible to purchase them, such as bumpers and ornaments throughout the car.

Joe Redshaw

Joe, you'd better tell us if this is a 2-door or 4-door car. The rear fenders are vatly different between the two![:0]
    Count on rechroming what you've got. And it's NOT cheap to have it done and done right. Check out whoever you choose to have do the chrome work and I mean find folks who've had them do chrome work. The chrome shops themselves are gonna paint themselves in the best light, of course![}]
    One thing about Studes is that LOTS of their external brightowrk is actually stainless steel. All it needs is polishing to look new again![^]
    Bumpers are fairly easy to have straightened and plated. It's the "pot metal" cast stuff that take a REAL artisan to prepare and chrome to where you'll be proud of it and that sorta expertise does NOT come cheap anymore![:I]

By the way, the upcoming national meet in South Bend this June would be a GREAT PLACE to find better stuff (including a fender) for your '51. Not to mention being one HECK of a place to learn more about the car you're working with![^]

Miscreant adrift in
    the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

There is a man in Idaho parting out a 50 landcruiser, If the fenders are the same on the 51, his parts are great and his prices are good too. I bought the front fenders and they are incredibly rust free.
      The freight was more than the price of the parts though. Look @ ebay stude parts he's selling the chrome stuff from Melba ID.

36 dictator
      48 starlite
      50 starlite
      48 starlite Commander

32 Austin 7

Comment

They'd fit if Joe has a 4-dr car. A good way to ship them (within the USA) is via Greyhound.

Miscreant adrift in
        the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

2 Door, 5 passenger Coupe!

Joe Redshaw

Comment

Joe,
            I hope you've already done yourself the favor of joining the Studebaker Drivers Club. It's the key to all your resources.
            http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com/joinsdc.asp

Brad Johnson
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

I've got a fender but I'm a L O N G way from IL.

Miscreant adrift in
              the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe

Comment

Road trip !!! Pete!!

David Baggett Mantachie,Ms.

Comment

Pete wouldn't mind.[^] But regular's hangin' at around 3 bucks a gallon at the moment.

Miscreant adrift in
                  the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                  1960 Larkvertible V8
                  1958 Provincial wagon
                  1953 Commander coupe

Comment

Try Don Gay in Lowpoint IL. Don't know about that fender, but Don is a great guy, and should be one of your regular contacts for parts.

Don regularly advertises in Turning Wheels. Look there to see his current telephone hours. I think they are a bit before 7am, at noon or 6pm, or after 8:30 pm at 309-443-5217.

Comment

Working...
                    X