Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

transmission bolts -- torque converter

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• transmission bolts -- torque converter

I have a 259 with a manual on it currently. Is it possible to use the mounting bolts on the current fly wheel with the crankshaft-to-converter drive plate?
    I know that the automatic sized bolts don't fit the (manual) fly wheel (too short). Are the fly wheel bolts so long as to present a problem? I really don't want to take the engine apart, having to replace gaskets etc, if I don't have to.

Um, one more small detail, the tranny in question is a Ford. No one could be more supprised than I when pulling out the engine and tranny exposed this. It works well... just a Ford.

One last thing... Does the bell housing have to be "dialed in?" If so, the exchange is not possible. You see, I don't have the expertiese or tools. The mechanics in this area just look at me like I grew tentacles out of my head when I mention alligning the bell housing in this manner. A three hundred mile trip to Studebakers West is simply out of the question.

Thanks in advance...

Lotsa Larks!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith

yes, you should align the bellhousing. (sorry!) Otherwise broken flexplates can result. I'd get new bolts for the flexplate and keep the old stickshift bolts for someone that can use them. You will have to drop the pan and the rear main cap to do this.

nate

--
    55 Commander Starlight
    62 Daytona hardtop
    http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
    --
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Nope, you can't use those flywheel bolts with a torque convertor. And yes - to save yourself grief down the road (literally), the B/H should be aligned.[}]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe
      1957 President 2-dr
      1955 President State
      1951 Champion Biz cpe
      1963 Daytona project FS
      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Well, it was a good idea while it lasted.[V] Thanks for the help.

Lotsa Larks!
        Ron Smith
        Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
        Ron Smith
        Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Working...
        X