Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Hub cap restoration

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Hub cap restoration

    I was told at york that there was someone that had decals for the hubcaps we use on hawks, Does anyone know where to get these decals? I would like to put my cars body color in te small squares around the outer area of the hubcap. Also these caps are stainless steel who is polising them does anyone know?

    Studebakers forever!
    Studebakers forever!

  • #2
    Stuart Tritt (Studestu on this forum) sells them. I don't believe he has the decals in other than stock colors, but it's worth a try.

    There are generally several folks in each metro that polish stainless. I would think there would be many in the Maryland area. Ask JDP who he uses.




    Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

    Comment


    • #3
      I used some of the decals on my soon to have a new top 62 ragtop, they look great when on, but it's NOT something that you'll get done in a few minutes. Very tidious work, but well worth the effort. If I remember right, there was about 1 or 2 extra ones for each one.

      They do look good when done, and they also fit very well.

      Jim
      "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

      We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!


      Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

      As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
      their Memorials!

      Comment


      • #4
        I used the decals from him, and am delighted with the results. After putting them on, there were some bubbles, which were easily fixed, by warming the hubcaps in the oven at about 100 degrees, and than working the bubbles out.
        Look as good as new, but they do take some time.

        Comment


        • #5
          quote:Originally posted by studelover

          I was told at york that there was someone that had decals for the hubcaps we use on hawks, Does anyone know where to get these decals? I would like to put my cars body color in te small squares around the outer area of the hubcap. Also these caps are stainless steel who is polising them does anyone know?

          Studebakers forever!
          Don't mean to hijack the thread, butttttt.....while we're on the subject of restoring wheel covers, according to the literature, on the covers for my '62 Hawk the little "S" in the center of the cap is supposed to be black, surrounded by red.

          Are they any "stickers" out there to accomplish this feat? I wouldn't think that paint would necessarily adhere to the stainless very well...at least not over time.

          Karl


          1962 GT Hawk 4sp

          Comment


          • #6
            The kit has all the right color for a 62. Black "S", red surround, and black outer ring. Mine had been painted(badly), and had some of the original stuff on them. A spray can of aircraft paint stripper took care of all of that. I cleaned up the stripper, and applied the decals. Warmed them in the oven, squeeged out the remaining bubbles, and back on the car. I will try to submit a photo. Have them at home, unfortunately, I have to work for a living. So when I get home, I will attempt to send a picture.
            Chuck

            Comment


            • #7
              quote:Originally posted by Chucks Stude

              The kit has all the right color for a 62. Black "S", red surround, and black outer ring. Mine had been painted(badly), and had some of the original stuff on them. A spray can of aircraft paint stripper took care of all of that. I cleaned up the stripper, and applied the decals. Warmed them in the oven, squeeged out the remaining bubbles, and back on the car. I will try to submit a photo. Have them at home, unfortunately, I have to work for a living. So when I get home, I will attempt to send a picture.
              Chuck

              Yes, by all means, if you can, when you have the time. Sorry to hear about you having to work for a living.....'been there, done that'...definitely paid my dues, though. I feel like I 'deserve' the time off, heh, heh, heh.


              1962 GT Hawk 4sp

              Comment


              • #8
                I would like to get in touch with the gentleman that has these kits, is he here or is there an e-mail address.The other question I have is how did you guy's deal with the polishing of the hubcaps to bring them back to like new luster?

                Studebakers forever!
                Studebakers forever!

                Comment


                • #9
                  These kits always seem to be available on e-bay.


                  Lotsa Larks!
                  K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                  Ron Smith
                  Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
                  Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                  K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                  Ron Smith
                  Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Here's a thread on them...

                    http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com...=hubcap,decals




                    Dick Steinkamp
                    Bellingham, WA

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      quote:Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp

                      Here's a thread on them...

                      http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com...s=hubcap,decal
                      I noticed while perusing through that thread, that there is concern about the pieces coming off if the Stude is driven very much, (especially if it is raining out).

                      I wonder if it would be practical to get a rattle can of clear coat and spray each wheel cover....would they stay on then, or would that make the wheel cover look really funky?


                      1962 GT Hawk 4sp

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I used the 1962 set from Mr. Tritt and am very happy. This is how they came out.

                        "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Or, if you are concerned about durability...us Stude Vendors at studebakervendors.com have new ones from the original die for $240.00 a set.

                          StudeRich
                          Studebakers Northwest
                          Ferndale, WA
                          StudeRich
                          Second Generation Stude Driver,
                          Proud '54 Starliner Owner

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            quote:Originally posted by StudeRich

                            Or, if you are concerned about durability...us Stude Vendors at studebakervendors.com have new ones from the original die for $240.00 a set.

                            StudeRich
                            Studebakers Northwest
                            Ferndale, WA
                            Yeah, right.....I'm not that concerned about it

                            I went and ordered the decals. Stuart is confident that they will stay on....I figure, he made them, he outta know.



                            1962 GT Hawk 4sp

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              As far as durability, I used some vynal graphics on the first wheel caps on my 52, they were on there about 6 years and no problems with peeling. I would think that Stu's are of the same or better quality. I see no problem with them, and I would NOT clear coat them! As when the clear starts to peels they will really look like crap.

                              Jim
                              "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

                              We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!


                              Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

                              As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
                              their Memorials!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X