This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H 11 Champion Sparkplugs?

Does anyone know where we can get replacement spark plugs for 259 in a 55 President State? We just got this car last weekend. Even with a hole in the rotor and 2 of the plug wires swapped in place it still started and ran but not well. Those "minor" things now fixed it runs much better. The plugs don't look bad but my computer challenged better half will feel more secure if a spare set is along for our upcoming tour.

LadySilverHawk
    55 President
    58 Silver Hawk
    62 Champ Longbox

I would use RJ12YC's but thats just me. I use them in a 1957 289 V8 with no problems.

Comment

I believe the H11 is a discontinued number. Champion has substituted H10C. But those are a fairly cold plug, specified for the '57-'58 supercharged engines. The current correct Champion number for your car is H18Y, order number 857.

Dwain G.
      Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Rock Auto
        http://www.rockauto.com/ .
        Mike M.

Comment

I don't think you want to use a H11 plug in that engine, that was the original plug that was used but that was only because the "projected nose" ("y" suffix) plugs hadn't been introduced yet. The longer nose makes the plug more resistant to fouling but couldn't be used in the old flathead engines (but they're perfectly fine in an OHV engine like yours.) A good replacement would be a Champion H14Y (H18Y if it fouls) or an Autolite 437 or a Bosch WR9FC (or just W9FC if you can find it.)

The factory plug for the late (61-64) standard 259/289 was a H14Y, FWIW.

good luck,

nate

--
          55 Commander Starlight
          62 Daytona hardtop
          --
          55 Commander Starlight
          http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Anyone know the difference between the Autolite 437 and Autolite 75 (or 85 resistor)?

Dan White
            64 R1 GT
            64 R2 GT
            Dan White
            64 R1 GT
            64 R2 GT
            58 C Cab
            57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

I put WR10FC Bosch plugs in mine. How does that compair with the Bosch WR9FC? I took out Champion H18Y . Thay were old plugs and I replaced them with a tune up.

Comment

Ladysilverhawk, congratulations on the President Statesmsn. We just purchased ours in May of this year. She is won a resident of OK.

Comment

Curt, WR10FC is one heat range hotter than WR9FC I believe, otherwise the same. Probably comparable to a H18Y which was also stock for a couple years. If you're not getting any glazing or detonation and your car runs well, keep using them.

By the way, this discussion is actually the very same one that started me researching stuff for my interchange spreadsheet a while back. I bought some plugs at a parts store based on another interchange that was posted somewhere on the net (bought Bosch as they were on sale at a local parts store that was closing) and when I got home the reach was wrong! So I bought an old Champion book off eBay, sat down with that and a couple manufacturer's web sites and learned more than I ever thought I wanted to know about spark plug numbering systems. But now I can answer questions like this. (I'd rather just know, than need a plug someday and not be able to find a store that sold Champions.)

As for the Autolite question, I have no freakin' clue. Autolite uses a real arcane numbering system, I always have to cheat and look at the documentation to figure out Autolite plugs, I just know that 437's are the recommended plug for a regular (non-R series) Stude.

good luck,

nate

--
                  55 Commander Starlight
                  62 Daytona hardtop
                  --
                  55 Commander Starlight

Comment

Spoke too soon. I actually do know the answer to the Autolite question. A 75 is a shorter reach plug than the 437. (3/8" vs. 7/16") The reason the number 75 sounded familiar to me was that it crosses to a J12Y which is the stock plug for an R1/R2.

Now here's a question I've never managed to determine an answer to... to R-series heads actually have less "meat" in the plug area? If not why did Stude specify a shorter reach plug?

Might as well just post this...

it's an Excel document, because it's constantly in flux and I honestly am way too busy to reconvert the spreadsheet to a table every time I want to reupload it. If yo udon't have MS Office, I've heard good things about openoffice.org, in fact I may download it tonight just to see, since I'm still running an old copy of Office 97 (too frugal to upgrade)

nate

--
                    55 Commander Starlight
                    62 Daytona hardtop
                    --
                    55 Commander Starlight

Comment

wow, really getting OT here...

dl'd openoffice.org, here there's a pdf writer built in (cool! I hate doing html tables anyway)

new link for you:

old spreadsheet is at:

enjoy

nate

--
                      55 Commander Starlight
                      62 Daytona hardtop
                      --
                      55 Commander Starlight

Comment

Nate you might want to add the NAPA PCV valve for AFB equiped Studes: 29267

Dan White
                        64 R1 GT
                        64 R2 GT
                        Dan White
                        64 R1 GT
                        64 R2 GT
                        58 C Cab
                        57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

Many thanks to all who posted - I am amazed at the action my first posting got. I will print this off for my beloved computer challenged better half and let him do the leg work.

This Prez is my first experiance with Hill Holder & vintage OD. It's dream to drive even with strong arm steering. Now if we can just get the temp down we will be happy.

Many thanks and look me up on Omaha in about a year!

LadySilverHawk
                          55 President
                          58 Silver Hawk
                          62 Champ Longbox

Comment

Working...
                          X