Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Radio Delete

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radio Delete

May I present a pet peeve of mine that has been bothering me for some time?

You frequently see ads for 50s and 60s cars that say the car has a feature called "radio delete".

I remember when these cars were common, and radios in the low-priced field, and even the medium priced field, were not standard equipment until probably the late 1960's, if even then. Further, it was common to see cars equipped without radios back then.

Radios were optional equipment!

A 50'S CAR CAN'T BE "RADIO DELETE"!

IT CAN'T BE "DELETE" IF THE CAR WASN'T EQUIPPED WITH IT TO BEGIN WITH!!!!

Thanks for letting me vent. I feel better now. [|)]

I think you're right Blue !!! And,everybody has to vent some time!!..... I have a clock delete panel from my Hawk....

Hawks,Larks,and other critters!
    Oglesby,Il.

Comment

I was supposed to post this under General Discussion, not Technical. Shows that you shouldn't do things while grumpy!

Comment

Just one of my pet peeves is "needs restored" Don't they mean "needs to be restored"?????

Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Pet peeves -

How bout "frame off" restoration!

I'd like to see a person roll their car over on it's top and take the "frame off" of the car!

Another is "billet".....that one's just that much bullshi....... Most don't even know what a billet is. And it DOESN'T come in sheet or plate stock!

Ok...back to work.

Comment

My favorite is "Ground up" restoration. Now - WHY - would you take a freshly restored car and grind it to shreds???[V]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe
            1957 President 2-dr
            1955 President State
            1951 Champion Biz cpe
            1963 Daytona project FS
            No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Biggs! Ask Kdancy! Thats what he doing right now-grinding up a 'restoration'!

Oglesby,Il.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 52hawk

Just one of my pet peeves is "needs restored" Don't they mean "needs to be restored"?????

This one bothers me also. Maybe they do it to save on paying for words in an ad (two vs. four). They could use "needs restoration" and be correct and still only use two words.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

It's a relative degradation of our language, Gary. Not everyone aspires to your epicurian english. Fact is, English has always been evolving. I've often wondered if I could be time-travelled to England a thousand years earlier - would I be able to converse with the folks very well.
                  We see verbal abberations here all the time. Heh - someone look up "axel" "mirrow" or bumber" and get back to us with the definitions. For that matter, try to find any one of those things in a parts book! You're gonna be lookin' for a long time![}]
                  10 years ago, I would not have believed I'd be using acronyms to communicate daily. Yet I've allowed BTW, IMHO, BRB, LOL and a few others entice me with their lesser keystrokes.
                  Trying to hold the language "status quo" is as futile as trying to promote daily Studebakering as a wave of the future.[xx(]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                  1960 Larkvertible V8
                  1958 Provincial wagon
                  1953 Commander coupe
                  1957 President 2-dr
                  1955 President State
                  1951 Champion Biz cpe
                  1963 Daytona project FS
                  No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

LOL! BTW JMHO.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Tom - Sterling Heights, MI

Ancient Chinese Proverb: "Injection is nice, but I'd rather be blown!"

1964 Studebaker Daytona - Laguna Blue, Original 4-Spd. Car, Power Steering, Disc Brakes, Bucket Seats, Tinted Glass, Climatizer Ventilation System, AM Radio (136,989 Miles)
                    Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                    1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

It's a relative degradation of our language, Gary. Not everyone aspires to your epicurian english. Fact is, English has always been evolving. I've often wondered if I could be time-travelled to England a thousand years earlier - would I be able to converse with the folks very well.
                      We see verbal abberations here all the time. Heh - someone look up "axel" "mirrow" or bumber" and get back to us with the definitions. For that matter, try to find any one of those things in a parts book! You're gonna be lookin' for a long time![}]
                      10 years ago, I would not have believed I'd be using acronyms to communicate daily. Yet I've allowed BTW, IMHO, BRB, LOL and a few others entice me with their lesser keystrokes.
                      Trying to hold the language "status quo" is as futile as trying to promote daily Studebakering as a wave of the future.[xx(]

Bob/MrBiggs - In general, I agree with you. It is like p--ing into the wind. Lately I have seen quite a few things that I think are incorrect, based on when I went to school, and when I look them up in a new dictionary they are now considered correct. It will still continue to bother me.
                      I neither started this topic nor the one item that I was agreeing with and commenting on.
                      BTW, none of those groups of letters/initials that you site are "acronyms" <G>. An acronym is a pronounceable word formed from the first or first few letters of other words. Common examples are; laser, scuba and NATO.
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I'm thinking the term 'delete' became popular in the muscle car era, when radios WERE standard equipment, or at least were installed in the great majority of cars by that time. Muscle cars intended for competition use deleted any options that added unwanted weight.
                        Up until that time these were just radio plates, block-off plates, covers, etc.

Dwain G.

Comment

I have a build sheet for a 1964 El Camino (I used to own) and it was the barest of bones model. No PS, No PB, 230 straight-six and it was listed as "Radio Delete", because it had a cover over where the radio should have been. Maybe that's where the term came from?

1960 LARK(4-Door)V8/Deluxe Wagon
                          Dallas,Texas

Comment

These computer lingo abbreviations really get me. When I found out what FLAPS was,it had me roflmao!

Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Dealer order guide for `63 Avanti says they will be shipped with a radio at extra cost, unless the order specifies radio delete. I own a stripper `63 Avanti, with 3-speed stick and radio delete!

Comment

Working...
                              X