Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Crank hub installer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's pretty much what an installer tool would be, just instead of flat washers it has a thrust bearing (like an upper kingpin bearing) to make it easier to press the balancer on. If you greased or oiled your flat washers that would work almost as well. The trick is finding a bolt and nut; the threads in the crank are not a standard thread (you'd pretty much have to have them custom made on a lathe, which is how I assume the installer tools are made.)

nate

--
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
    --
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

By using the bolt, you're subjecting its threads to a lot of strain on a very small area. Nate is correct... the tool I have I use the thrust bearing under the nut...the bolt part of the tool threads all the way in the snout of the crank. Years ago I screwed up a perfectly good bolt trying to use it to install the hub.[xx(] As I said earlier, and Nate just reinterated, that bolt is of a VERY uncommon size. The one I had made didn't work too well...grade 8 metal dosen't fare too well unless you have a VERY high quality die. The tool is the way to go. Call me Darryl.
      Dan

Road Racers turn left AND right.

Comment

Heating the hub will help alot heat your oven to 250 degrees and put the hub in for about 20 minutes you can leave it in longer if you want at 250 you wont hurt the metal it should slide right on as far as the seal goes 250 shouldnt hurt it especially if it is a newer lipseal just remember that when you pull the hub out of the oven the clock is ticking so have all tools ready and walk fast I do this every day so good luck and remember WALK FAST

Comment

Working...
        X