Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Electric Wiper Motor

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electric Wiper Motor

I purchased a parts car that had an electric wiper system and was looking forward to converting my '54 Champion's vacuum system to electric. I took the unit apart last night and discovered the nylon gear was worn out. Is there a rebuild or repair kit for these units out there in Studebaker land...?

Buddy...'54 Champion 2dr

No kit that I know of, but I believe I have a parted out 6volt WS wiper motor I could scavenge a good gear from.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President 2-dr
    1955 President State
    1951 Champion Biz cpe
    1963 Daytona project FS
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I don't mean to hijack the topic , but I heard or read some where that certain late model Chrysler vehicles had electric wiper motors that adapt easily to Studebakers . Seems like maybe minivans . Anybody know ? I didnt search on here , so it may have been covered on here before .[?]

thom
      thom

Comment

There's some EARLY Dodge vans (with flat glass windshields) that sport wiper motors that are identical to those used on Avantis. Even the switch will work in an Avanti. Since Avanti wiper motors are tough to find, these van motors are a good investment if you can get them for less than a hundred bucks!

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe
        1957 President 2-dr
        1955 President State
        1951 Champion Biz cpe
        1963 Daytona project FS
        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

If Mr. Biggs doesn't come through, I just converted my '55 coupe to 12V. I should have a 6V motor that was working before I stole a couple pieces off of it. I do remember having a hard time getting the linkage loose however, I may have ended up stripping that gear

I suspect that the gear may be the same for 12V motors however. Is your motor Autolite or American Bosch?

good luck

nate

--
          55 Commander Starlight
          62 Daytona hardtop
          http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
          --
          55 Commander Starlight
          http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

I replied to Buddy that I'd found a parts motor (actualy, a brush holder would make it a good serviceable unit), but I haven't gotten a reply.

Buddy - did you get my E-mail?[:I]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe
            1957 President 2-dr
            1955 President State
            1951 Champion Biz cpe
            1963 Daytona project FS

Comment

I don't think the gears are the same between a 6v and a 12v, based on my recent experience buying a 12v car wiper motor (not sure what kind of car it came off of) to swap with my 6v truck wiper motor. Same manufacturer (Prestolite/Autolite) and appearance generally the same.

I had to remove the shaft/arm assembly that protrudes from the gear housing, as the "arm" that connects to the linkage was different for the trucks. While in the gear housing, I tried swapping gears, but they didn't mesh right - different number of teeth, or size, or both.

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup

Paul Simpson
              "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
              The Red-Headed Amazon
              Deep in the heart of Texas

Comment

I had this "donor motor" apart Friday and it looked to me (this is the 6volt Autolite version) like that plastic gear was/is permanently staked onto the shaft which it drives. Since this unit only needed a brush holder to be serviceable, I advised Buddy to swap said brush holder from his WW motor to this one. In fact, the old style cloth wiring on this one is in remarkably good shape.
                Of course, that'll be his choice - if he ever gets back to me.

CORRECTION: I said "Autolite" type when I meant Redmond type motor.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                1960 Larkvertible V8
                1958 Provincial wagon
                1953 Commander coupe
                1957 President 2-dr
                1955 President State
                1951 Champion Biz cpe
                1963 Daytona project FS

Comment

Hi MrBigs.. I've been in Atlanta two days, send whatever will work on my '54. The brush holder on mine is in great shape. Thank you again... Buddy..

Buddy...'54 Champion 2dr

Comment

Speaking of wiper motors would someone outthere have one for a 60 lark they would be willing to sell?

Comment

I think I do - I'll check.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                      1960 Larkvertible V8
                      1958 Provincial wagon
                      1953 Commander coupe
                      1957 President 2-dr
                      1955 President State
                      1951 Champion Biz cpe
                      1963 Daytona project FS

Comment

Buddy & scotty g, I had an E-mail meldown a couple of days back. I've tried to recover what I lost but I've given up on it now. Please E-mail me your addresses again so I can send out the WW motors you requested. Thanx.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                        1960 Larkvertible V8
                        1958 Provincial wagon
                        1953 Commander coupe
                        1957 President 2-dr
                        1955 President State
                        1951 Champion Biz cpe
                        1963 Daytona project FS

Comment

Working...
                        X