Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm curious, Mike. Do you just summarily install hardened seats on all Stude heads you do? I ask because this is contrary wisdom to what the Stude experts have been preaching all along.
    I'm running the same un-seated heads on my Transtar that that engine had when I rescued it from a bent 64 Daytona. I think maybe I've adjusted the valves 3 times in 16 years of driving it. Driving it long and often and using the truck to pull other Studes on heavy trailers - up and over the grapevine and up and down the state. No detectable seat regression yet.
    I've got scads of V8 heads lying around here - none with seat erosion. Why is this?[?]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President 2-dr
    1955 President State
    1951 Champion Biz cpe
    1963 Daytona project FS
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Hey Mike why don't you try Martin Wells in L.A. they do nothing but seats and will build you any thing that you want.

Comment

MrBiggs,

Depends on the application. If it's going to be an around town car, or occasional trip car, no I don't. But if the person's going to actually be driving it, yes, absolutly. I'd rather them spend a few extra bucks now than have them unhappy later cause the exhaust valves won't stay adjusted.

Funny, my everyday driver, a 59 Lark w/259...I've had for about 7 years now... I adjusted the valves not long after I bought it. For being made of "super iron", they need the exhaust adjusted just like most any other early headded enginge....about 4000/4500 miles, while the intakes normally get adjusted every 5 or 6 exhaust adjustment intervals.

Another thing about the "super iron"...I've noticed a big difference in the way the fresh iron (after grinding, machining, etc.) differs from head to head. I've had one head discolor in days, while the one next to it stays clean and shiney untill I'm done with them. Gotta say something about the consistancy of the batch to batch material in the cast iron of the 50's/60's. Stude iron also doesn't wear out cutters any faster then plain ol Chevy - Ford - Chrysler iron heads. As for being overall a better material than any other....not as far as I've seen so far.

Alan,

Thanks, I've talked to them in the past. When you get away from the norm, the cost skyrockets. Most Stude guys have a hard enough time justifying the porting in the first place. I am thinking about it for plugging the heat crossover ports though. I want to plug them in a set of heads for myself right at the back of the port....so all the ports are the same in the bowl area.
        Thanks again.

Comment

Mr. Biggs: Most of the time, the R 3 intakes will clear on a stock bore; however, I would ALWAYS check to be sure. I have had to trim .020" off the valve to get clearance (.010" per side). Unless the engine is bored at least .030" I would check to be sure. It's so easy to check it's not worth chancing it.

As for the inserts, I sold several sets when in the parts business but always gave them my experience which is I've never put them in any of my own engines and haven't had any problems.

Ted

Comment

Thanks for the info Ted, I was just wondering the same thing myself! Got a std. bore 289 (as far as I know, that is) that seems to run strong and was thinking of warming it up some... guess I will have to just build a whole 'nother engine if I want ultimate power.

nate

--
            55 Commander Starlight
            62 Daytona hardtop
            http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
            --
            55 Commander Starlight
            http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Thanks Ted! benny - did you get that?

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe
              1957 President 2-dr
              1955 President State
              1951 Champion Biz cpe
              1963 Daytona project FS
              No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
              X