Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

stude headers

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stude headers

does anyone know of a place to get headers for my 64 lark? i can't find em anywhere. has anyone had luck with a header kit or something along those lines?

slow64
    1964 lark daytona
    bd_marks@yahoo.com

There are R3 cast iron, factory reproduction headers available from most of the major and a few of the minor Stude vendors. There are to my knowledge no aftermarket headers available for Studebaker V8's, however, Headers By Ed sells a flange kit that you could make your own (http://www.headersbyed.com/amc,misc.htm#Studebaker). From several sources there seems to be no benefit to adding headers to a Stude V8. I think Ted Harbit made some a few years back and saw no 1/4 time improvements. You might contact Ted and ask him since he is the speed guru here.

Dan White
    64 R1 GT
    64 R2 GT
    Dan White
    64 R1 GT
    64 R2 GT
    58 C Cab
    57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

That was a good question! In a similar vein, what are the known header choices for a Champion Six, besides Cathcart?

The reason I ask is that I plan to install a dual carb intake, and several people have pointed out that the exhaust manifold will need to be changed out to a dual exhaust setup.

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup

Paul Simpson
      "DilloCrafter"

1955 1/2 Ton Pickup
      The Red-Headed Amazon
      Deep in the heart of Texas

Comment

Benny,

I can reaffirm what Dan says. Headers are "cool", but they won't buy you anything until you're WAY up there in boosted performance. Even larger exhaust valves aren't a major player until you get significant boost (blower or turbo). Good cam, 500CFM (maybe even 600CFM considering that 301 cube engine I gave you to work with) Edelbrock carb, larger intakes and possibly some intake port work.
        As far as the exhaust side goes, you'll get more out of dual pipes and free-flow mufflers than you will out of the more expensive headers.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe
        1957 President 2-dr
        1955 President State
        1951 Champion Biz cpe
        1963 Daytona project FS
        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Not sure I buy the no header thing on Stude engines!!!!! But the perf. cast iron manifold is overall a nice piece....except....
          That big ol plug at the exit of the manif., it's a big stepped divider that all but plugs the manifold exit. A long end mill will take care of that though.

Now...for that lump of cast iron, steel, aluminum...KNOWING it's a Studebaker engine.......here and I thought it was just another big heavy air pump!

Headers of the right design "will" work. The cast iron version is much nicer than stock original, but "not" as good as a tuned for the engine parameters set of headers.

Comment

ok i wasnt going to jump into this at all but i cant help it. right now i have a 170 6 engine in my lark. I know it aint much unless i change the cam. and that work i just dont want to get into cause i'd have to pull the engine and this is my only car. but man have i been wanting to put headers or to split my exhaust. but for one thing anybody who can make custom headers is f**king expensive for my engine cause its so small and its not to common they say. and two i havent been able to find someone in socal who could split a manifold. but man do i really want to do. I really want to pick up a v8 and start rebuilding it. dont know which i'll do first.

Comment

Mike, you can tout them if you want. I'm NOT the one to ask about first-hand experience with headers. But I have pointedly asked Mr. Harbit about them and simply shared what he's told me. Since he's been drag racing Stude V8s since 1960 or so (and has the wins and records to prove it), I humbly defer to his literal track record(s) and the statements he's made as to how he set them.[:I]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe
              1957 President 2-dr
              1955 President State
              1951 Champion Biz cpe
              1963 Daytona project FS
              No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I don't know about 6's, but on V8's there is a small increase in power, noise and mileage with headers not enough for the money you would spend on them.

Comment

"Digger Dave" from Indiana builds a pretty header setup for Champ engines.
                  He built the exhaust for the Salt2Salt Bonneville racer.
                  Nice work.
                  Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by benny_64

does anyone know of a place to get headers for my 64 lark? i can't find em anywhere. has anyone had luck with a header kit or something along those lines?

slow64
                  1964 lark daytona
                  bd_marks@yahoo.com
                  DEEPNHOCK at Cox.net
                  '37 Coupe Express
                  '37 Coupe Express Trailer
                  '61 Hawk

http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock
                  HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

well it sounds like the headers aren't worth the price, i already have dual exhaust, h-pipe, and two flowmasters set up on my car, so headers probably wouldn't do a whole lot, they are cool though and give you a crisp rev. a bit off the subject, i looked at ted harbits site, he has a lot of cool stuff. few questions, aluminum intake: is it worth the $300. r3 valve springs, is it that much of a gain, or does it just go good with a r2+ cam? just a few curriosities.

slow64
                    1964 lark daytona
                    bd_marks@yahoo.com

Comment

Biggs, i almost forgot, i pulled the pistons out of that engine you gave me, the engine only suffered a little surface corrosion in 1 or 2 of the cylinders, i'll have to take another look but i don't think there was any pitting. got any ideas on how to take care of that rust. i was thinking of a brillo pad and a lot of elbow grease.

slow64
                      1964 lark daytona
                      bd_marks@yahoo.com

Comment

I haven't seen the manifold by Ted, but if it is from Stone it may need some cleaning up. Anytime you can lose 30 or so lbs. off the front end it is a good idea, powerwise look for about a 10% increase in power from the manifold and a good carb. On the springs they are dual springs and you have to take the heads off and machine the spring pockets to make them fit. Run your car up to about 5,000 in second gear if it acts like you have a couple of fouled plugs they might help, then again it might be just bad ignition. Sounds like you have money and it's burning a hole in your pocket.

Comment

That's good news benny. Since you're gonna wanna use new rings (And I'd go with the cast iron), you're gonna have to hone it anyway. It may be that the hone will clean up most of the corrosion you speak of.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                          1960 Larkvertible V8
                          1958 Provincial wagon
                          1953 Commander coupe
                          1957 President 2-dr
                          1955 President State
                          1951 Champion Biz cpe
                          1963 Daytona project FS

Comment

Here's something to file away- I put the cast iron R3 headers on my Hawk's 289 when I rebuilt it. Later I decided I wanted to try out a Saginaw power steering box on the Hawk; the type found on Studes from '53 to '56(or maybe '57). That big steering box will NOT clear the cast iron R3 headers. It's a very tight fit even with the stock exhaust manifolds.

And why does Lionel Stone tout the R3 headers so highly when everyone else says they make little or no difference? My Hawk really scoots, but I don't know if it's the big intake valves or the headers or any of the other stuff I threw into the rebuild.

Comment

"why does Lionel Stone tout the R3 headers so highly when everyone else says they make little or no difference?"

Could it be a monetary incentive[?]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                              1960 Larkvertible V8
                              1958 Provincial wagon
                              1953 Commander coupe
                              1957 President 2-dr
                              1955 President State
                              1951 Champion Biz cpe
                              1963 Daytona project FS

Comment

Working...
                              X