Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

55 coupe project

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 55 coupe project

I got carried away & seperated the outer & inner RH fender for my 55 by cutting the fender . At the time I was sure I could find a better fender even if it was a different model . Such has not been the case . Now I might try putting the inner & outer back together . Im thinking since my car is modified already maybe I should cut the other side & make new custom inner fenders .I might make a new radiator support & the other sheetmetal pieces that attach to the support & inner fenders like is common practice on race cars . Anybody on here done so & lived to tell about it ? Anybody know of pictures I can find of similar work ? Thanks

thom

Why don't you go with fiberglass? You could get a one piece 43 coupe front and build the radiator support, or if you want to keep th 55 look you could just buy the fiberglass fenders. Just a thought.

Comment

I don't know how close this is to your project, but if you find good metal somewhere, even if it is just parts of what you need, you can weld Stude sheet metal together very nicely...
      Here I took two bad Hawk fenders and made one very nice one. One fender was crunched bad in the front, and the other was a total rustout on the back edge, but the front was nice...
      Less than a days work and I had a nice, solid fender...

http://community.webshots.com/album/424910290NqKCak

Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by thom
      I got carried away & seperated the outer & inner RH fender for my 55 by cutting the fender . At the time I was sure I could find a better fender even if it was a different model . Such has not been the case . Now I might try putting the inner & outer back together . Im thinking since my car is modified already maybe I should cut the other side & make new custom inner fenders .I might make a new radiator support & the other sheetmetal pieces that attach to the support & inner fenders like is common practice on race cars . Anybody on here done so & lived to tell about it ? Anybody know of pictures I can find of similar work ? Thanks
      thom

DEEPNHOCK at Cox.net
      '37 Coupe Express
      '37 Coupe Express Trailer
      '61 Hawk
      http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock
      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I'm trying to imagine a 43 coupe...
        "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

Yeah! A 43 would have been cool! I guess I meant a 53!

Comment

A 43 coupe would have had tracks and a short canvas roof![8]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe
            1957 President 2-dr
            1955 President State
            1951 Champion Biz cpe
            1963 Daytona project FS
            No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Thanks guys, Hey Deepnhock , did you use the inner panel that went with the front half ? I would be glad to do what you did , but so far have not found two fenders worth grafting together . Its a shame too, because the rest of my 55 coupe body is in very good condition . Even the floors are solid . I would like for my car to turn out looking like the one on the North Carolina chapter web site in the tech piece about headliner replacement . I wouldnt paint mine green though. Im thinking bronze & cream two-tone.Thanks again .

thom
              thom

Comment

I drilled out each spot weld and removed the outer skin from the inner structure. Then took the best pieces and out it all back together and welded it all up. Had to rework a few small rotten pieces, but after it was all back together, you couldn't tell the difference.
                Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by thom

Thanks guys, Hey Deepnhock , did you use the inner panel that went with the front half ? I would be glad to do what you did , but so far have not found two fenders worth grafting together . Its a shame too, because the rest of my 55 coupe body is in very good condition . Even the floors are solid . I would like for my car to turn out looking like the one on the North Carolina chapter web site in the tech piece about headliner replacement . I wouldnt paint mine green though. Im thinking bronze & cream two-tone.Thanks again .

thom

DEEPNHOCK at Cox.net
                '37 Coupe Express
                '37 Coupe Express Trailer
                '61 Hawk
                http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock
                HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Working...
                X