Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Refurbishment: Order of projects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Refurbishment: Order of projects

I'm thinking about doing some work to my 63 Avanti R1. It's a solid driver now but I need to fix a few things. My question is in what order so I don't tear apart something just redone.

First: Pull the engine for new seals
    (a good time to paint engine compartment...keeping in mind the rest of the car may wait for a couple of years?)

THENin no particular order):
    -Check suspension (crashes over speed bumps...shocks?, springs?)
    -Recharge Air Conditioner (it blows, just not cold)
    -Check heater/AC fan (low is almost non-existant, fast is like low or med. on a new car)
    -New dash
    -Cover front seats/new carpet
    -Window out repaint

63 Avanti R1 2788
    1914 Stutz Bearcat
    (George Barris replica)

Washington State
    63 Avanti R1 2788
    1914 Stutz Bearcat
    (George Barris replica)

Washington State

I would do the repaint before the carpets and interior; otherwise you have to be very careful not to get overspray on the nice new stuff.

nate

--
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel
    --
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

My guess is that if you must wait on the full windows out repaint, that you could do the:
      (1) Repair front suspension
      (2) A/C System check/recharge
      (3) The engine compartment/Engine clean, paint seal job (if you can do this without opening the A/C system, if not do this first)
      (4) The Fan repair, there are 2!

First, then the re-paint, Dash, and seats last.

The engine removal/front suspension is a toss-up, it depends on how deep you have to get into the front end, a major rebuild would be easier with the engine gone, except re-installing the springs, which will require the car chained to floor without engine. Just a few things to think about...you have to do it, not me![^]

StudeRich
      Studebakers Northwest
      Ferndale, WA
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Working...
      X