Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NOw back to gas, I burn mid grade gas and add 4 oz of Marvel Mystry Oil to a fill up. Snak oil aproach to valve erosion.

Comment

I live in an agricultural state where all our gas has at least some ethanol in it. I also work in the hydraulics industry, so I am familiar with different compositions of "rubber". Most of the older "rubber" products are not compatible with alcohol, although they may be compatible with gasoline. My first electric fuel pump lasted two years before the diaphragm gave out. The second one I purchased has lasted one year now, although the label on this one said it was compatible with ethanol and the first one didn't. As a taxpayer, I am glad you other people are subsidizing my farm economy, and let me be the first to say thanks to you for that. It kind of evens out for us supporting your useless shipyards. As far as making the ethanol, it doesn't have to be made from corn, actually sugar beets work better. The corn is actually improved as a cattle feed by the fermentation process, which adds protein to the mash. As for the gas, I use the premium grade, which has the least amount of ethanol in it. It is really only two octane better than the cheaper stuff, but although it still has ethanol in it, it has less than the rest.

Comment

Here's an article about a DOE study on the cost of producing etanol vs. gasoline:
        http://www.agriculture.com/ag/story....&catref=ag1001 .

Here's "key points" of the study:
        http://www.ncga.com/public_policy/PD...hanolStudy.pdf .

One of the costs of producing anything, is energy. In this case the product itself happens to be fuel. If production of a fuel uses more energy than is finally sold, it isn't particularly significant. It certainly doesn't make it impractical. In fact the study above shows that gasoline production uses 1.23 BTU for every BTU sold. That compares to .73 for ethanol.

Mike M.

Comment

Working...
        X