X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Swifster
    replied
    The true value in 'restoring' a car is in it's originality. A 289/automatic Avanti will be a nice cruiser. Changing the trans won't make it any more drivable or valuable. In fact, it may decrease it's value.

As mentioned, join SDC, get a copy of your build sheet (if you didn't already find a copy in your car), and a good set of manuals. Good luck and happy motoring .

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tom - Sterling Heights, MI

Ancient Chinese Proverb: "Injection is nice, but I'd rather be blown!"

1964 Studebaker Daytona - Laguna Blue, Original 4-Spd. Car, Power Steering, Disc Brakes, Bucket Seats, Tinted Glass, Climatizer Ventilation System, AM Radio (136,989 Miles)

Leave a comment:

• studegary
    replied
    Start by joining the Studebaker Drivers Club (this site) for vendors, ads, technical information, historical information, etc. You might also want to join the Avanti Owners Assoc. Intl. Get a build sheet for your car from the Studebaker National Museum.
    You mention "a total restoration." I don't see how modification questions would apply.
    WG is for Warner Gear, not "Warner Gearing."
    There were a lot of running changes in Avantis, especially considering the small number built, so you need to have your serial number (on a tag on the frame - not the body number) available.

Leave a comment:

Guest started a topic Transmission Questions

Transmission Questions

Help, I'm new to the studebaker game w/ a 63 Avanti. I now have the body off the frame and will be doing a total restoration. My questions are about the automatic tranny etc.

1. Why take off in 2nd gear?
    2. How slow/fast?
    3. Take off in first and shift to drive?
    4. I want this car to be a great driver!
    5. I keep hearing about a GM 700R4 conversion?
    6. I put a 2004R in a 40 ford/w a 350 eng. great driver!
    7. This car was bought at the Charlotte spring Swap meet and was not driveable. It was bought as a project/hobby!
    Please all help ideas etc., is greatly appreciated. I meet a great guy named Steve yesterday on the phone when calling to ask a question on what W.G. Div. on the tranny meant. " Warner Gearing Div.". The information everyone has is so vast and I'm just learning. Thanks for the help. roger
Working...
X