This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• which is it 259-289

well i finally got my shop manual in the mail and think i have been lied to. the guy i bought my stude from told me it has a 289. he also said it is the original engine. so i was breezing through the specs and there were no 64's i could find that were 64V with 307 gears and a 289. i know lots could've happened between 64 and now but the guy knew next to nothing about the car or studes all together. my question is, how do i tell if my engine is a 289 or a 259?

slow64
    1964 lark daytona
    bd_marks@yahoo.com

Benny, my '64 Daytona came with a 289-2V, 4-spd, and 3.07 open rear end. The engine and trans are listed on my build sheet, and I've been under the car to check out the rear end tag. There are no signs the the rear has ever been swapped out. Hope that helps and puts your mind at ease.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Tom - Sterling Heights, MI

Ancient Chinese Proverb: "Injection is nice, but I'd rather be blown!"

1964 Studebaker Daytona - Laguna Blue, Original 4-Spd. Car, Power Steering, Disc Brakes, Bucket Seats, Tinted Glass, Climatizer Ventilation System, AM Radio (136,989 Miles)
    Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
    1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

The way to check and see which engine you have - what displacement it is anyway - is to remove one spark plug and (using a wooden dowel) gage the stroke of it. Mark on the stick - the lowest point of travel and then the highest point of travel of the piston. Measure between those and you know the stroke. 259 will come out to 3&1/4" while the 289 will show 3&5/8ths"
      A fairly rare 224 (1955-6 only) would measure 2&13/16ths" All these started life with 3&9/16ths" bores so you can see how it is that by simply changing the crank and pistons (all 3 use the same rods), you can achieve 3 different displacements.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe
      1957 President 2-dr
      1955 President State
      1951 Champion Biz cpe
      1963 Daytona project FS
      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

If it is the original engine and has an engine number starting with a P, it started out as a 289, and if it has an engine number starting with a V, it started out as a 259.
        What does your build sheet say that your car was manufactured with?
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

wgere would i find the build sheet? the placard in my door jam only has my vin#. and none of the numbers i found on my engine start with a p or a v.

slow64
          1964 lark daytona
          bd_marks@yahoo.com

Comment

The engine number on a V8 is a STAMPED, not cast, number on a boss on the left, front of the engine (left side of the car, to your right looking in the engine compartment). The boss is on the block itself and is horizontal and near the water pump. You will probably have to do some scraping and cleaning to read it. These are relatively small (about 1/4 inch) numbers.
            The build sheet can be ordered from the Studebaker National Museum. Among other things, it will tell you what engine, including engine number, that your car was originally built with.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

thanks a lot, i know the stamped numbers you are talking about, i can't remember exactly what it say but i will check them out. thanks a lot.

slow64
              1964 lark daytona
              bd_marks@yahoo.com

Comment

Benny, one more thing; on the home page of this web site is "Tech Tips Specs and Data." look under engine identification and you will also find what kind of motor you have. If the motor has been re-done as a 289 Mr. Biggs suggestion will also prove true. The engine specs will only tell you what the motor was originally built as. Good luck!

Oh yes, one thing I almost forgot. Studebaker was largely the Burger King of car makers. Often one could order anything the factory offered on whatever model it was required upon. Hence there are cars that are anomolies to the stock description. Yet they are factory stock themselves. It's a pity that kind of personalization is'nt available in modern cars.

Lotsa Larks!
                K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                Studeclunker
                Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                Ron Smith
                Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

If the Sales Manager is willing to work with you, sometimes you can get cars built that supposedly aren't offered. An example was the Chrysler Laser XE that I ordered new. An XE came with a digital dash as standard equipment and with no option. The base model Laser came with an analog dash. I wanted an XE, but didn't want the digital dash. I got an XE built with an analog dash. It took Chrysler three cars/tries to get my order nearly correct. The first one was built without the turbo engine. I forget what was wrong with the build of the second one. The third one had an analog dash and a turbo engine, but it also had power door lock switches and no power door locks. I told the dealer that I would take that one and they could correct it either way - remove the switches or finish the door lock installation (I didn't know how much of the works resided in the doors). They removed the switches and installed the correct door panel trim pieces. I traded that car in on my new 1987 Avanti.
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Working...
                  X