Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I owned a 1969 Tempest with the overhead cam (OHC) engine. It served me very well. I sold it to my boss (a risky thing to do) and he got many years of commuting to work with it.
    Curt & Alan - The name is Willys.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

http://www.ramblerrogue.com/torino1.htm

Dallas,Texas

Comment

Danarchy - Thanks for the link on the IKA. That was an interesting read. It seems to me that the Tornado six was also used in an open wheel series but I can't remember the specifics.It's been too many years.

Comment

OK - NO web searches now! Just from your brain cell(s) - Who had the Typhoon Six??? Since we're talking storm-oriented titles here.[)] Even better - what year was it introduced and how many years did that name get used???[:0]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe
          1957 President 2-dr
          1955 President State
          1951 Champion Biz cpe
          1963 Daytona project FS
          No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I'm guessing Fix Or Repair Daily!
            How about a Tsunami 6 ?

Dallas,Texas

Comment

Stude's flathead engine was a VICTORY SIX. (1955)

Comment

Rambler chose the name Typhoon 6 for the totally new OHV 6 they intro'd in 1964. In fact, they had a special edition 2-dr hardtop to commemorate this debut. You could get a black over yellow, 64 Classic 2-dr hardtop with that engine and the name Typhoon on the rear quarters. That engine was 199cu.in. and then quickly grew to 232 and eventually 258.
                While AMC withered away, that basic 6 cylinder engine survived to the next millenium under the hood of Jeeps!

So - what was the Skybolt 6???[:I]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                1960 Larkvertible V8
                1958 Provincial wagon
                1953 Commander coupe
                1957 President 2-dr
                1955 President State
                1951 Champion Biz cpe
                1963 Daytona project FS
                No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Studebakers new for '61 Powerful OHV version of the venerable Champ six.

Too bad they didnt do the same for the big Commander six.!

Too bad they didnt start earlier and do a better job on the OHV heads.

Comment

Oops, Bob:

The Typhoon six was 232 cubic inches when introduced. It was later downsized to 199 and upsized to 258. But it came out as 232 in that 1964 Rambler Classic Typhoon Hardtop. (But will there ever be a model name longer than 1955 Packard Clipper Custom Constellation Hardtop?)

Yep, as to the Typhoon Six's survival into the next millenium. My daughter [:I] bought a new Jeep Wrangler Sport last year after college graduation, and therein is the current incarnation of the Typhoon! But, of course, it doesn't have cubic inches anymore; it has liters. [xx(] BP

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

Rambler chose the name Typhoon 6 for the totally new OHV 6 they intro'd in 1964. In fact, they had a special edition 2-dr hardtop to commemorate this debut. You could get a black over yellow, 64 Classic 2-dr hardtop with that engine and the name Typhoon on the rear quarters. That engine was 199cu.in. and then quickly grew to 232 and eventually 258.
                    While AMC withered away, that basic 6 cylinder engine survived to the next millenium under the hood of Jeeps!

So - what was the Skybolt 6???[:I]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                    1960 Larkvertible V8
                    1958 Provincial wagon
                    1953 Commander coupe
                    1957 President 2-dr
                    1955 President State
                    1951 Champion Biz cpe
                    1963 Daytona project FS
                    BP
                    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

BP says: "The Typhoon six was 232 cubic inches when introduced."

Aw Bob - you got auto history ALL askew![xx(] The 232 debuted in 1951.[}] Then AMC built it under liesense.[}]
                      Same thing happened with the 289 that Studebaker invented. Ford snapped it up later on![:0]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                      1960 Larkvertible V8
                      1958 Provincial wagon
                      1953 Commander coupe
                      1957 President 2-dr
                      1955 President State
                      1951 Champion Biz cpe
                      1963 Daytona project FS

Comment

You guys.........have WAY too much time on your hands. Instead of this game of trivia why don't you come on over and help get my cursed Avanti running!Actually I should be in the garage working on it rather then here.
                        wagone and Avanti I

Comment

Working...
                        X