Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Given this scenareo, I vote for the stuck advance weight theory, especially if this is a Prestolite distributor. Prestos are known for advance weight problems due to the cheapo rivet bearings they use. After 50 years even a Delco can wear out though. If you can get the advance weights back in place and lubed with a light weight oil, you may be able to get it to work OK again. I'd say you should look into rebuilding that distributor in the near future if this does turn out to be the problem.

Comment

my money is on a Bad rotor(or dist.cap)
      Is it a Prestolite Dist?

Dallas,Texas

Comment

Check all wires leading to and from both coil and distributor. All should have good, clean connections and not have any insulation damage.
        / H

Comment

Just to be sure you cover all your bases, change the fuel filters, all of them, and be sure there is nothing that has made it's way to the carb float bowl. If you were having sediment problems before you ran out of gas, running out of gas will make them worse, and a filter can look fine and still be plugged. Once you have done this, go back to looking at the distributor if you still have a problem.

Comment

Well... It sounds like you've got a bunch of great suggestions here 'clunker, but me tinks dat you may have made a big foo-paw when you moved the distributor, especially moving it without a timing light.

It sounds to me like you sucked a load of crap into the fuel system, probably fouling carb. and the filters that you put in. As a good way to troubleshoot, if you have a known problem with your car, (in this case you knew that there was crap in the tank), you should always start with the known problem, i.e., change all the filters, blow out the fuel lines, pull the carb. and clean it out, before you move on to another system that may/may not be a problem, thereby eliminating the obvious.

If the carb can't get it's full measure of fuel, the engine will be running in a lean condition. An engine running in a lean condition will run hotter. If timing is "adjusted" to compensate for a lean condition, (setting the timing to help the engine cope with less fuel), it actually worsens the conditions, (usually runs hotter, badly).

I'm afraid the cure is a bit lengthy but something that you have to do. I'd highly recommend that you go back, do it right. I'd drop that tank, (easy as hell), clean and seal it, blow all the fuel lines out, change all the old rubber lines, open, inspect, clean out the fuel pump, pull the carb. and clean it out, just LOOK the distributor over, (do NOT pull it yet), for bad cap, rotor, points, metal shavings, etc., find TDC, (easy and we can talk you right through that if need be), set the dwell, get a timing light and reset the timing according to the service manual, (you do have a service manual, right?),

There IS an outside chance that something crapped out in the distributor, although we don't really know because the fuel system delivery problem is still a big question. We can really get down to brass tacks for ya if we can eliminate that fuel system as the problem. We must go through this step by step, in the right order, to get it fixed right for ya. Hope this helps...

Sonny
            http://RacingStudebakers.com
            Sonny
            http://RacingStudebakers.com

Comment

I agree with Sonny. I think that running out of fuel caused your problem. I think that your problem is fuel related and not ignition related.
              To respond to Curt's post, a Studebaker 259 V8 does not have a timing chain.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

By light weight oil, are we talking about like, Sewing machine oil or 3-in-one?

Lotsa Larks!
                Studeclunker
                A.K.A: out2lunch
                Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                Ron Smith
                Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Either 3-in-1 or sewing machine oil would be good. I think you need to be sure about the fuel delivery situation before you mess much more with the distributor.

Comment

I once made a gas can my fuel tank for test purposes . I gas can with rubber hose & an electric pump. Disconected fuel line at carb and connected the temporary gas supply to the carb. Now all must be grounded at all times to prevent static sparks, fire ,etc. I found out my fuel line/ tank was the problem.

Comment

My problem turned out to be a partial (on and off ) plug of the tank's pick up tube. I had tank steamd cleaned and pick up line opened, problem solved.

Comment

Well, you guys turned out right. The distributor was backwards!! It's amazing that the motor ran so well for so long in such a state. Still, it never warmed up much, not running for long periods in winter weather or at night. So I guess it was'nt suprising that it gave me trouble in this really hot weather. The distributor won't accept oil in the filler. So I suspect the vacumn advance is filled with dirt.

The whole engine compartment was a pack-rat's nest when I got the car. No, really! A pack-rat had moved into the car. He had built a floor by placing sticks across the valve covers to the fenderwells and built his house upon that. A fine rat house it was too. I felt awful removing it. It was like evicting Pattertwig (a C.S. Lewis character).[}]

I suppose the next step is replacing the distributor. I suppose a Prestolite would be the way to go. All I have to do is figure out how.[:I]

Lotsa Larks!
                        Studeclunker
                        Ron Smith

Comment

We suggested so much, how could we be wrong? Glad you are in business of fixing instead of diagnosing.

Comment

NO!NO!NO! Don't buy a Prestolite! If you really do need a new distributor, you have several options. Prestolite is the last one! If your current distributor is working now, you don't need to replace it. If you do need to replace it, get a Delco, or go with a Chrysler conversion. I have no first hand experience with the remanufactured Prestos from Dave Thibeault, but I have heard good things about them. He replaces the crappy advance weight rivets with real bushings and supposedly they work very well when he is done. If you want originality, that might be the way to go.

Comment

Well... It turned out to be one of three things.

1- replaced the coil.

2- replaced the points (they were pitted and I did'nt have a point file)

3- replaced all the spark plugs with new. Don't know if this helped anything but my feelings.

4- Timing with light.

The plugs probably were'nt the problem. I just felt better replacing them.

Sweetpea now feels much better.[^] Thanks for the helpful hints everyone. Especially Sonny and Jeff.

Oh and Curt, Huh???, or is it Ouch!?

Lotsa Larks!
                              Studeclunker
                              Ron Smith

Comment

Well... looks like the vacumn advance is bad too.[:I]

Lotsa Larks!
                                Studeclunker
                                Ron Smith

Comment

Working...
                                X