Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Red Line

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Line

I am thinking of putting in a tac in my car but am wondering what red line is on my engine. the car is a 63, 170 OHV. I've figured that it is about 50 - 55 RPM. I was looking through my shop manuel last night but didn't see anything about it. Anyone know?

I'd set it no higher than 4800-5000 RPM with that six.

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
    64 R2 4 speed Challenger (Plain Wrapper)
    63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
    55 Speedster
    50 2R 10 truck
    JDP Maryland

Comment

thanks, I'll do that.

Comment

The truck version of the OHV six(1963 edition) has its max net 95 hp at 4300 rpm, max net 146 lbs.torque @ 1900 rpm. On the engine graph, the net hp and net torque lines cross at 2700 rpm.

Comment

So that means what, Transtar60?

Comment

You usually run up to 10% over maximum horsepower rpm. That would be 4300 plus 430 equals 4730. I would redline your tachometer at 4800 rpm.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

May we continue the discussion with information on the power range and top end RPM for a flathead 170? I don't expect it matters, but my Lark has a 4.09 rear axle and 3spd OD.

Tom Bredehoft
              '53 Commander Coupe
              '60 Lark VI

Comment

quote:Originally posted by cosmo

So that means what, Transtar60?
                Where the torque and hp lines cross are usually the "Sweet Spot" for the engines power band.

Comment

my 6 would fall on it's arse above 4000 rpm, so use 3800 as a shift point, it likes to torque not spin.

Comment

Thanks, Calvin, I can find 4 grand, sweet spots are elusive.

Tom Bredehoft
                    '53 Commander Coupe
                    '60 Lark VI

Comment

Working...
                    X