Front Leaf Spring Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front Leaf Spring Question

Howdy All, I am at a point in my project that I have pulled the front axle and springs from my 4E-7 for sandblasting and painting. My question is... I have a set of NOS heavy duty springs for a 2R #678854 and #678855 in my collection of parts. Both the 4E-7 and the heavy duty 2R's springs are 9 leaf, same bushing curl directions, length, etc. Other than the spring clips being different, does anyone know if the load capacity (spring tension) of the heavy duty 2R set would be close to that of the 4E-7's. I would rather change to the NOS set than to spend the time of tearing down and sandblasting the originals (have done this before on the original set years ago ) Or am I destined for a long sandblasting and paint job. Thanks for any information. Tim

<div align="left">Tim Stevens Big Sky Country, Montana "Mergatroid" '59 4E7-122 "Sliver" '59 Silver Hawk "Surfin Stude Safari" '57 Parkview Wagon "Blind Date" '41 Double Dater Coupe</div id="left">
    I own time machines.....

I couldn't begin to answer your question, Tim. But... if you have no use for those original springs, I could sure use them. If they'll fit my Champ, that is... My front springs are really tired.

Lotsa Larks!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
    Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Well without digging out my parts book, I would think it important to know how heavy of a 2R these are for? If a 5 or 6, pretty light, but a 10 or 11 way better for a heavy truck like yours. Important because it has been changed from a 1/2 ton to a full 1 Ton in the rear.

3/5/07 UPDATE: I checked the '49-'56 Parts catalog and it shows those 678854 & 55 as HD 9 leave type "B" (with one eye up & one eye down) is used on 169 engined 1/2 & 3/4 ton from '49 to '55. I guess the perches and bracket changed at that point so a '56-'59 is way different.

What you need to do is call Detroit Eaton Spring and order new HD 3/4 ton 4E12 springs. Because of the lightweight 1/2 ton frame on your truck, I would not recommend using 1 ton to match the rear.

StudeRich
      Studebakers Northwest
      Ferndale, WA
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Howdy, Just for clarification, My truck is strictly a half ton. I have a 1961 Lincoln rear axle, not a 1 ton rear axle, guess it must look like it in the photo as I have HD Springs and overloads on the rear. The truck was used as a hauler for a '29 FD Commander, and '55 Packard, and trailer tongue weight is the reason for them. The NOS Type B springs that I have, has the same eye configuration, length, etc. as the current front springs on my '59. Although I may be mistaken, as I dont have my parts manual at my home, I thought that the parts manual listed the HD 9 leaf springs that I have, good through models 1-13 2R-2E, wouldn't this would include the 245 Commander 6, and also the 224 V8. My concerned was, because I didn't have the weight differences between the 245-6 and 224V8 versus the 289V8, and thought this may present an overload problem as I am assuming that the 289 would weigh somewhat more. I do thank you for taking the time to look up the information and providing the suggestions though. I think to be safe, I will do the sandblasting and painting of the originals, even though it is a pain in the rear! Thanks Tim

<div align="left">Tim Stevens Big Sky Country, Montana "Mergatroid" '59 4E7-122 "Sliver" '59 Silver Hawk "Surfin Stude Safari" '57 Parkview Wagon "Blind Date" '41 Double Dater Coupe</div id="left">
        I own time machines.....

Comment

Could have fooled me...those rear tires look huge! I thought you had converted it to Duals![^] With a 1/2 ton frame, all that rear overhang, and a car axle and close to a half ton of utility body hanging on it, I would not think it capable of ANY load at all, and only a very light trailer! Really beautiful truck, looks tougher than it is.

My 7E13 1 ton dually has a much heavier frame, springs, and axle than yours and only the recommended body length for 1 tons of 9 feet. So it is comfortable hauling 1 to 2 tons (10,000 GVW) or more with no risk of breaking something. That is why I say that.

StudeRich
          Studebakers Northwest
          Ferndale, WA
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

StudeRich, Looks can be deceiving. "Mergatroid" (named that because she was built from the merger of 4 different trucks) Thats a stock 8 foot Stude bed with two 100 pound Pierce utility boxes, custom inset into it. I also built the truck on a '56 3/4 ton frame, and at the time that it was used as a hauler, it had all 3/4 ton running gear. It has since been retired from hauling duty, converted to a half ton and now lives a more sedate life. Tim

I own time machines.....

Comment

An it's Goooooorgeous![][8D]

Lotsa Larks!
              Ron Smith
              Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
              Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
              Ron Smith
              Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment