Avanti R2 carb leaks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti R2 carb leaks

Got the 64 from a collection and it blew gas from the carb.. The carb has no seals, must of been replaced with non blown one. my ? are , can seals be installed in this one & if so where can i get a set ? Or should i install some newer model ? ( any one have a good used one to sell ) Car is stock now , will be adding headers.

where did the fuel blow out of?? There are seals under the mixture screws and under a small cover for the accelerator pump shaft.Kits can be gotten from several venders.

63 Twin Supercharged Avanti
    64 Avanti R3w/NOS
    88LSC Avanti 350 Supercharged w/NOS

Comment

The R-2 requires a sealed carb (as you know). It is different than the regular carbs. It also has a special pressure balance line from the fuel pump. The shop manual gives the part numbers and more instructions and is available from the studebaker vendors. That manual is a very valuable asset and is available in reprint. Good luck finding a used carb if yours is the wrong one. I have heard that the edlebrock ones can be modified to work but don't know the details.
      Rob

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Karl

where did the fuel blow out of?? There are seals under the mixture screws and under a small cover for the accelerator pump shaft.Kits can be gotten from several vendors.

64 Avanti R3w/NOS
        64 Avanti R3w/NOS

Comment

There's a lot of good information on converting carbs at VS57.com,
          http://www.vs57.com/indextech.htm . Look under "Carburetor Modification".
          Summit Racing sells the Edelbrock marine accelerator pump kit, which has the seal for that.
          A genuine R2 carb has other special features, too.
          Mike

Comment

Thanks , guys. The carb bonnet was off when i bought the car and sounded ok . with the bonnet on and at 1000 rpm & up gas starts to emit from the accelerator pump shaft (it had been disconnected ). Took the carb off to clean & saw it was the non sealed carb. I have a 63 R1 that is being hotrodded & want the 64 to remain mostly stock. Would like to have right carb but if i can locate a rebuild kit for a R2 type then i could modify. I have done a Ford and a Kaiser with a homemade box that worked fine but do not want to do that on this car. I have the factory manual & parts book. What vender would have a carb or rebuild kit?

Comment

don't ssume that it's not an R2 Carb just because the pump doesn't have an obvious seal. The original style was different than the replacements that would be in the kits. The replacement pumps in some of the kits wouldn't fit through the seals and someone might have just tossed the seals. The sealed carb top is different than the non-sealed top. What you want to look for is no vent holes outside the area that would be covered by the bonnet. If you look at the top with the bonnet on and see two holes, one on each side of the carb you have a non sealed carb. The holes are less than 1/8". I can post a picture of a sealed top if you need it.

ErnieR

Comment

Working...
              X