Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Lark Frame question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lark Frame question

Are the frames interchangable between a 2 and 4 door Lark? Both are '59's? I had a nova front end grafted to my 59 lark a few years ago and now its time to 'fix' it. The guy I hired to do it did a lousy job. I have a donor 4 door that I would like to put a phantom auto works front end kit on and swap the frames out. Any thoughts? thanks

As far as I could tell they are the same. I just cut up one of each (they were way too rusty to save) and I don't remember seeing anything different between the 2.
    Mike Sal

Comment

Maybe only if one's a six and the other's an eight... [?]

StudeDave [8D]
      V/P San Diego County SDC
      San Diego, Ca

'54 Commander 4dr
      '57 Parkview (it's a 2dr wagon...)
      '57 Commander 2dr
      '57 Champion 2dr
      '58 Packard sedan
      '65 Cruiser
      StudeDave '57
      US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
      SDC Member since 1985

past President
      Whatcom County Chapter SDC
      San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
      San Diego Chapter SDC
      North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Difference in wheel base makes the 4 door longer than the 2 door..

Barry Leppan
        Burlington, Ont. Canada
        64 Daytona HT 5-spd
        64 GT Hawk R-1/AC/4-spd
        Barry Leppan
        Ontario, Canada
        64 Daytona R-1 Convertible & 64 GT Hawk R-1
        GT Hawk Registry & SDC, Hamilton Chapter [IMG]

Comment

I guess that is the real question. Is the wheel base the same?

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studee64

Difference in wheel base makes the 4 door longer than the 2 door..
            In '59 and '60, the 2 and 4 door sedans both rode on a 108 1/2" wheelbase. The station wagon and taxicab had a 113" wheelbase. The Sport Coupe had a 120 1/2" wheelbase.

I don't have a parts book, but I would guess the frames are the same.

Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Comment

Parts book calls out the same part number for a 2-door or 4-door.[^] For 59 & 60 as well.

Additionally, 2-dr wagons, 4-dr wagons and Y-bodys shared one frame.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe
              1957 President 2-dr
              1955 President State
              1951 Champion Biz cpe
              1963 Daytona project FS
              No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Same size, eh.. !!

Pretty tricky, those Studebaker cars, eh !!

Tks,

Barry Leppan
                Burlington, Ont. Canada
                64 Daytona HT 5-spd
                64 GT Hawk R-1/AC/4-spd
                Barry Leppan
                Ontario, Canada
                64 Daytona R-1 Convertible & 64 GT Hawk R-1
                GT Hawk Registry & SDC, Hamilton Chapter [IMG]

Comment

Speakin' of 59-60 Larks, my pal Steve stopped by for a visit a bit ago. Always sweet to lay eyes on his purdy '60 Sweetie! It's got a late truck 289 (that I led him to) and 3-spd OD. Nice, nice car! My wife always coos about this Lark every time she sees it. Today was no exception.[8D]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                  1960 Larkvertible V8
                  1958 Provincial wagon
                  1953 Commander coupe
                  1957 President 2-dr
                  1955 President State
                  1951 Champion Biz cpe
                  1963 Daytona project FS
                  No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

Speakin' of 59-60 Larks, my pal Steve stopped by for a visit a bit ago.
                    That IS a cutie []. You need a picture of that parked next to your convert [^]

Dick Steinkamp
                    Bellingham, WA

Comment

There was a brief mention of this, but it is important enough that I thought i would mention it again. Be sure that if your recipient car is a V-8 that the donor frame too is from a V-8 car. The gauge of the steel is different for 6 and 8 cylindr cars.
                      Joe Roberts
                      Joe Roberts
                      '61 R1 Champ
                      '65 Cruiser
                      Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

So adding an 8 to a car that has a six could be problematic in the chassis department? Oooo nasty! I guess that little sedan of mine will get the six out of the truck after all.

Lotsa Larks!
                        K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                        Ron Smith
                        Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                        K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                        Ron Smith
                        Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Joe
                          Where did you get the frame thickness info. on the 6 or V8 ?
                          Klif

55 Speedster
                          42 Champ Coupe
                          55 Speedster/Street Machine
                          63 Avanti R2
                          64 Convertible R1

Comment

In all reality, there's been lots of Lark 6s re-engined with V8s thru the years. I've not heard of any failures or even fit problems due to this. Maybe it has to do with the shorter wheelbase or something, but even the later Y-bodied Larks aren't folding in half with a 259 or 289.[}]
                            C-K & Hawk frames - yeah, they have POTENTIAL problems. And I think ANY late Stude car ought to have it's front crossmember-to-side rail attachment points looked at from time to time. But even with that, there's lots of those cars running around with V8s when they started life as 6-cylinder cars.

BTW, we have hashed this out before. You WON'T find a 6-cylinder frame or an 8-cylinder frame in the parts books. The books list one frame for both engine options. Likely, this was because it didn't make sense to stock factory replacement frames in two sizes when the heavier gage frames would fit either one! And with as numerous as frame repair shops used to be, there probably weren't a whole lot of replacement frames sold anyway!

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                            1960 Larkvertible V8
                            1958 Provincial wagon
                            1953 Commander coupe
                            1957 President 2-dr
                            1955 President State
                            1951 Champion Biz cpe
                            1963 Daytona project FS

Comment

Lucky for me (nice to know it happens every once in a while!) the donor car is an 8. In fact, it is where i got the 259 that i put in the original Lark 6. I made the mistake of trusting a guy that said he could make it drive like a new car with the nova front end graft. What he failed to mention is that he didn't know exactly what he was doing and severl months and dollars later I ended up with a frankenstien car that can't clear a roll of quarters. (The clearence under the front crossmember is about 1 inch.) Interestingly though he did a friends 62 Daytona and it turned out perfect! There is that luck thing! So now I'm going back to the drawing board, rebuilding the frame from the donor car and moving on. Has anyone out there used the kit from phantom Auto works that they advertise as no cutting or welding that will give your old Stude frame the modern geometry of a mustang 2? Would love to have some feedback on that one! Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X