This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fleet studes ??

I have a 1960 Lark 2 door, without a padded dash and horn ring, no lighter, with radio, possibly other items are deleted. The report from the museum has the right ID numbers but the wrong options. Is this a fleet car ?? I've owned it several years. It was originally delivered in California. Brad

Brad, what do you mean by wrong options?

Lotsa Larks!
    Studeclunker
    A.K.A: out2lunch
    Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Unless you know WHO the customer was that bought it, it's tough to define it as a "fleet car". Studebaker would sell you as cheap and plain a car as they could if that's what you wanted.[}]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
      1960 Larkvertible V8
      1958 Provincial wagon
      1953 Commander coupe
      1957 President 2-dr
      1955 President State
      1951 Champion Biz cpe
      1963 Daytona project FS
      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I know Penn State had Studebakers as fleet cars in the early 1960's. My mother was hit head on while driving a fleet Studebaker in 1961. She lived a normal life after months of PT etc.I think she was in a 1960 Lark when hit. The fleet cars did not have interior lights[V] and Penn State had flash lights in all glove boxes. They were V-8's

Comment

This question about fleet cars brings another question to my mind. Some auto manufacturers made cars specifically to be used as police cars or taxis. Typically these cars has extras such as heavier duty suspension, brakes, cooling system, and/or electircal system. These cars typically were the lower trim level models and often had very plain but durable interiors. Does anyone know if Studebaker ever produced cars of this type? I'm sure Studebakers were used as police cruisers and taxis, but were they production passenger cars, as some police cars were in those days and most are today, or were they equipped with special options for that specific purpose? I think it would be a pretty safe bet the South Bend, Indiana police department used Studebakers, specially equipped or not.

Comment

Studebaker *did* make specific models for taxi and police use, I don't know what HD equipment was standard and what was optional though.

nate

--
            55 Commander Starlight
            62 Daytona hardtop
            --
            55 Commander Starlight
            http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

In our news-trib,LaSalle,Il,they have a small article every week called 10-25-50 years ago.Just last week the '50 yrs ago' line said LaSAlle city council voted to buy a new Studebaker Squad Car from Schwindiman Motors.
              Any way,the way Studes were built,[v-8,TT, large brakes]they probably didn't have to add much equipment to sell a cop car... Spot light? black and white paint job?
              Convenient--- Swindleman dodge and Studebaker was right across the street from the LaSalle PD.

not golden hawk,not silver hawk,just hawk.
              Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Those were called Marshal's IIRC. I also remember 1966 Studebaker Taxi's in Louisville Kentucky back in my younger days.

Mark
                quote:Originally posted by 52hawk

In our news-trib,LaSalle,Il,they have a small article every week called 10-25-50 years ago.Just last week the '50 yrs ago' line said LaSAlle city council voted to buy a new Studebaker Squad Car from Schwindiman Motors.
                Any way,the way Studes were built,[v-8,TT, large brakes]they probably didn't have to add much equipment to sell a cop car... Spot light? black and white paint job?
                Convenient--- Swindleman dodge and Studebaker was right across the street from the LaSalle PD.

not golden hawk,not silver hawk,just hawk.

1965 Studebaker Cruiser

Comment

There is in th 59-64 parts book 28 pages on heavy duty(ie performance) parts and almost two hundred pages of fleet and police car parts. Many of which are pages and pages of different electrical setups for fleet cars, highoutput generators and alternators etc.

Maybe Stude should have spent a little money and undercut the big three on fleet sales. Course maybe everything they had wouldnt have been enough.

Comment

In 1953-54 State College,PA. had two police cars, both were Studebakers. It may be the 1957 time frame they had the Police Studebaker Cars. But mid 50's would be correct time frame. Two cars were the entire fleet of police cars. O'brian Motors was the Studebaker dealer then.

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by curt
                      [ It may be the 1957 time frame they had the Police Studebaker Cars.

In the 1957 model year, Studebaker offered the supercharged engine (as standard in the Golden Hawk) in police cars. A Studebaker Sales Letter addressed heavy duty automatic transmission, heavy duty cooling, supercharger, HD valves and HD alternator for police, taxi and severe service fleet usage.
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by bradnree

I have a 1960 Lark 2 door, without a padded dash and horn ring, no lighter, with radio, possibly other items are deleted. The report from the museum has the right ID numbers but the wrong options. Is this a fleet car ?? I've owned it several years. It was originally delivered in California. Brad
                        [

Going back to the original question. By "report from the museum" do you mean the build sheet for your particular car, or something else? What do you mean by "wrong options"? Does the car have more, fewer or different options? What are the differences from the build sheet? Are these items that could have been changed since the car was built? Many changes were done by dealers prior to initial delivery. Please describe what you find to be "wrong."
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Another 'first' for Studebaker!!! A heavy duty alternator in '57!The big 3 didn't even have a lite duty alternator in '57!!! Sorry Gary,just had to butt-in!

last of the finned Hawks!!
                          Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Here's the Marshall I bought last year on ebay.

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
                            64 R2 4 speed Challenger (Plain Wrapper)
                            63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
                            55 Speedster
                            50 2R 10 truck
                            JDP Maryland

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by JDP

Here's the Marshall I bought last year on ebay.

John - I couldn't resist <G>. The car is a Studebaker Marshal. Just think of your wife and add an l <G>.
                              Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Working...
                              X