Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Fuel problem

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel problem

My '50 Champion has all of a sudden developed what I believe to be a fuel problem. It may run twenty miles, or a few hundred feet, and then stop as though it has run out of fuel. After it stops running it is hard to restart. I added a in-line fuel filter about 600 miles ago and don't think that's the problem.

Fuel pump, pick-up filter in the tank, vapor lock???

Any help would be appreciated, I'm afraid to leave my garage at this point.

Regards,
    Dick

These are famous for vapor lock if your missing the fuel pump cover (sheetmetal)it protects the fuel pump from the exhaust manifold/block .they are often missing after fuel pump replacements thru the years

My Studes:
    1.1947 Commander 14A-C3
    2.1948 Champion 2 door sedan (parts car)
    3.1948 Champion 2 door sedan
    4.1950 Champion 2 door sedan
    5.1959 Lark 2 door post
    6.1964 Stude challenger 2 door

Comment

I had a Kaiser with similar simptoms...Pick up tube in the tank plugs, car sits and plug works loose, then a repeat of the same.

Comment

Curts advice makes better sense than mine since the problem just started.

My Studes:
        1.1947 Commander 14A-C3
        2.1948 Champion 2 door sedan (parts car)
        3.1948 Champion 2 door sedan
        4.1950 Champion 2 door sedan
        5.1959 Lark 2 door post
        6.1964 Stude challenger 2 door

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 50starlite

My '50 Champion has all of a sudden developed what I believe to be a fuel problem. It may run twenty miles, or a few hundred feet, and then stop as though it has run out of fuel. After it stops running it is hard to restart. I added a in-line fuel filter about 600 miles ago and don't think that's the problem.

Fuel pump, pick-up filter in the tank, vapor lock???

Any help would be appreciated, I'm afraid to leave my garage at this point.

Regards,
          Dick
          http://RacingStudebakers.com
          Sonny
          http://RacingStudebakers.com

Comment

I had a tank that went bad with rust floating everywhere shortly after I bought a Lark that had been stored for years but was in good condition. The tank went to pot and I bought a new one--nos from one of the Stude. suppliers. It was double the cost of using a coating repair system from a car parts store but it's done right. I filled three plastic see through filters with rust, ruined the fuel pump, and stalled repeatedly. New tank was the fix. Brad

Comment

Working...
            X