This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel pump problems

Hi! I have tried to purchase a new fuel pump. I went to Napa Auto. They told me that Studebaker was no longer listed in their books. Mine is a 58 Packard Hawk with a 289 V8. Would any one know if there is an interchange of another pump or what can be used?? Thanks,

I see that Studebaker International http://www.studebaker-intl.com/ has them in the catalogue for $80. That seems fair to me. You might also try http://www.fairbornstudebaker.com/ . http://www.myersstudebaker.com/ is another source that I use frequently that will have what you need. Those are the three places I would buy from for this item. It's nice to get the right one the first time. One of them should be able to have at your door in a couple days.
    Tim K.
    Tim K.
    \'64 R2 GT Hawk

Comment

Dave Thibeault claims to have new fuel pumps available for 1955-64 V8s. They are listed in the PARTS & ACCESSORIES FOR SALE section of April's Turning Wheels page 52 just above the C-cab announcement ad.

'58, that's the shark nose is'nt it? Neat car![8D]

I almost forgot,[:I] the price is $45 plus shipping.

DAVE THIBEAULT
      13 Nick Lane, Maynard MA 01754
      978-897-3158

Lotsa Larks!
      Studeclunker
      A.K.A: out2lunch
      Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
      K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
      Ron Smith
      Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

I run a Napa fuel pump on my 289's. Just bought one there last month. The Napa # is M2211.

Laughinlark

Comment

Yup M2211 And if they LOOK hard enough, they'll find that they DO have it listed ----- for a Stude TRUCK![8] But of course, no dimwit in a modern auto parts store could tell you if a Stude truck had an engine anything like what was in a Stude car.[xx(]
          BTW, these are NEW pumps - not rebuilts. But that doesn't mean they're of great quality. Usually, in short order, they start leaking engine oil. They DO work tho.[)]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe
          1957 President 2-dr
          1955 President State
          1951 Champion Biz cpe
          1963 Daytona project FS
          No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Hello&Thank you for the help on the fuel pump! So the Studebaker truck fuel pump is the same as the car? My napa store here in Portland Maine,found the listing on the Stude Truck from his supplier?? They located one in Tennesee. You said that they leak oil? is this a lot or is it bearable??. Is this fellow in Massachusetts with the new fuel pump have the same ones that Napa can get?Does any one know? Thanks for all your help once again, Your SouthBend friend in Maine

Comment

Hi I have a new fewl pump in my hand for 259cu bought it from CarQest #4227 $45
              Jack

Comment

Sir Cocky-- Thanks!! is the 259 V8 the same as the 289 pump? Do they have the glass sediment bowl? Thanks!! What was the cost at Car Quest? Frank

Comment

If he has a supercharged car, it's a special pump.

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
                  64 R2 4 speed Challenger (Plain Wrapper)
                  63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
                  55 Speedster
                  50 2R 10 truck
                  JDP Maryland

Comment

I saw a reply to my question--Yes my car has a super charger-- Will the regular fuel pump not work? and is the 259 V8 fuel pump The same as the 289 Thanks

Comment

In defense of parts store 'dimwits'-I've bought parts for my 61 Hawk at CarQuest,AutoZone,and NAPA..Seems the problem is the counter person has to have patience to lug out the old paper books,sometimes 'Stude parts are not on the 'puter. I think almost any modern auto parts store can sell you common 'hardparts'-brake shoes,fuel pumps,wheel cylinders,tie rod ends,u-joints,etc.Most of these parts are still produced,as they fit other cars,[and trucks]not just Studes.
                      The trick is to find an experienced counter person with the patience or the interest to help you.If he rolls his eyes when you say 'Studebaker'-you got the wrong guy! If his eyes light up,he's ready for the challenge of helping you find your parts

not golden hawk,not silver hawk,just hawk.
                      Oglesby,Il.

Comment

If you have a supercharged Hawk it takes a special pump. Save yourself a lot of greif and get a pump from one of the suppliers that advertises in TW. At least these people are likely to know which pump you need.
                        Tim K.
                        Tim K.
                        \'64 R2 GT Hawk

Comment

Yeah, the supercharged cars use a higher output pump. My bad for not thinking about the Pack Hawk being supercharged.
                          Now - to your earlier question, 259-289, the fuel pump's the same. 232s used a different style of pump.
                          There's a Mopar fuel pump available that'll work on the supercharged cars if you heat and bend the actuator arm a bit.
                          You're NOT going to find a new fuel pump with a glass bowl - period. Even if you send your old one to be "rebuilt", it'll likely come back with a metal bowl installed It's a safety issue. I personally think it's dumb, but that's the way it is.[V]

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                          1960 Larkvertible V8
                          1958 Provincial wagon
                          1953 Commander coupe
                          1957 President 2-dr
                          1955 President State
                          1951 Champion Biz cpe
                          1963 Daytona project FS
                          No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Bob
                            It's a bit more complicated than that. The Mopar pump will replace the R2 supercharged pump by bending the arm and adding a fitting for the supercharger, but will not fit the Packard Hawk. The R2 Hawks have a modified left frame motor mount to clear the larger late pump. The factory just put the standard frame mount in a jig and beat the crap out of it for R2 GT's.

The 57-58 pumps are smaller, but have the supercharger fitting that allows blower pressure on top.

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
                            64 R2 4 speed Challenger (Plain Wrapper)
                            63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
                            55 Speedster
                            50 2R 10 truck
                            JDP Maryland

Comment

JDP, the pump I just took off of my car should work for him (it's in your garage) but it was blowing oil, probably needs a new stem seal (part of the diaphragm.) I believe it is a new production 'repro' pump as it looks just like the one I just got from Phil Harris other than the upper casting (sadly, I don't have a blower on my car...)

Alternately I'd just call Phil and see if he has some more...

nate

--
                              55 Commander Starlight
                              62 Daytona hardtop
                              --
                              55 Commander Starlight
                              http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Working...
                              X