This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Checking Auto Trans Fluid

Is the proper way to check the fluid in an automatic to warm the car up, then while stopped shift through the gears, place the car in 'P' , with the engine still running check the dip stick? I have never know other automatic transmissons to have a different sequence of events before pulling out the dip stick. But then I have never had a Studebaker.

Curt, the fluid level in the Flightomatics is checked with the transmission in "D". Do the things you mentioned, but then make sure the parking brake is applied and/or the car is adequately blocked, then do your check. (Service manual reference, Group IV, page 37.)

Good luck.

Mark

MarkC, 64 Y8
    Working in Spokane, WA

Comment

quote:Originally posted by MarkC

Curt, the fluid level in the Flightomatics is checked with the transmission in "D". Do the things you mentioned, but then make sure the parking brake is applied and/or the car is adequately blocked, then do your check. (Service manual reference, Group IV, page 37.)

Good luck.

Mark

MarkC, 64 Y8
      Working in Spokane, WA
      Mark,
      Thank you for the information. I do know Dextron seems to be the fluid of choice from a previous question I posted.

Comment

I ckecked the fluid tonight, about 1/8 th of an inch below the full mark. I noticed the dipstick says 'D' on it. Man, that dip stick is heavy.

Comment

I have a 62 Champ w/AT that is checked with a dip stick through the passenger floor. What is the correct way to check the level?

Comment

Buckeye, the check procedure is the same regardless of the location of the dip stick. Install wheel chocks, engage parking brake, open access cover, warm up engine until it idles normally (off choke), cycle through gears, place gear selector in "D", check fluid level on dip stick, add as necessary.

Lew in Escondido, CA

Comment

Thanks JCStude.

Comment

According to shop manual for my 55 with a DG250 trans. you check fluid level hot and in lo.

Comment

Len, I'm sure you are right. I was thinking of the Flight-o-Matic which is what should be in a 62. Thanks for keeping us honest!!

Lew in Escondido, CA

Comment

The manual for my 51 and 53 DG200 also says to check in low gear. It's pretty easy to pull the dipstick from the trans tunnel with your foot on the brake if you don't trust your parking brake.
                    Brad Johnson,
                    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Where do I find the DG200 name tag or the Flightomatic tag? My point is how do I know which automatic transmission I have? It is a later 1955 president because the windshield is wraparound.[?][?][?]

Comment

You should have a DG 250, tag is on the side of the case.

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
                        64 R2 4 speed Challenger (Plain Wrapper)
                        63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
                        55 Speedster
                        50 2R 10 truck
                        JDP Maryland

Comment

Working...
                        X