Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Tranny Rebuild?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tranny Rebuild?

Hi folks! Next project of significance for my 63 Daytona Convertible is a possible transmission or rearend (or both) rebuild. I have a terrible CLUNK! eminating from under my car (seemingly towards the rear), on occasion, when starting to move - especially after shifting from first to reverse (or vice-versa). I have a 3-on-the-tree w/ OD transmission. What do y'all suspect is the problem/cure? Is it rebuild time?

I very handy with hand tools, though I only have the basics. If it's just taking apart and replacing new gears, etc., I'm quite sure I could do it myself. I have a basic understanding of how this car operates (except the OD) and have the full shop manual. Think I can do it myself, or should I seek a professional? (There are some Studebaker enthusiasts in a town not too far from here).

'63 Daytona Convertible

'63 Daytona Convertible

Sounds to me, like a bad U-joint! I'd be checkin' it out before I drove it much farther.[}]
    Of course, with that X-member that your ragtop has, I don't think the driveshaft can drop out altogether when one of the joints lets go.[xx(]
    And too - you could have a sloppy pinion gear in the rear end. But tis all just speculation until you get it up in the air and investigate.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President 2-dr
    1955 President State
    1951 Champion Biz cpe
    1963 Daytona project FS
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

The first, easiest thing to do, take off both rear hubcaps and look for red rust under the hub nut washer. If the axle/hub key is starting to wear, and the torque on the nut is below standard, (greater than 180 lbs.) the hub could be clunking on the key.

Even without rust, check the torque on these nuts.

Tom Bredehoft
      '53 Commander Coupe
      '60 Lark VI

Comment

I agree - check the U-joints, which is a reasonably easy fix. If the rear end is out of whack, wouldn't it whine when slowing down in gear (not coasting).
        The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

You'd THINK it would whine if it was worn, but some folks aren't attuned to such. I also like Tom Bredehoft's assessment of the axle nut being loose.
          In tearing into this 58 wagon I just got, I found both axle nuts not torqued and you could see that the hubs had been slipping a bit on the tapered shafts. Someone had applied Never-seize to the axles to insure that they could get them off easily next time! But the looseness hadn't been present long enough to damage anything. The keyways showed no signs of being battered so I cleaned everything up and reassembled it after replacing the wheel cylinders and greasing the rear wheel bearings.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe
          1957 President 2-dr
          1955 President State
          1951 Champion Biz cpe
          1963 Daytona project FS
          No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Great advice, as usual. I'll start off with the easy stuff, though I don't think it's as simple as a universal joint. I'll let y'all know.

'63 Daytona Convertible

Comment

I'd say loose rear-emd gear mesh. My lark did that.
              Kent

Comment

Ooops sloppy typing, I mean Rear-end (rear axle)
                Kent

Comment

Kent, If you make a typo, YOU can correct it by clicking on the little icon at the top of your post - where it shows a little pencil. It lets you edit it and post the changes. I use it on occassion after I post something and see a goof or think of something to add to what I've already said.

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                  1960 Larkvertible V8
                  1958 Provincial wagon
                  1953 Commander coupe
                  1957 President 2-dr
                  1955 President State
                  1951 Champion Biz cpe
                  1963 Daytona project FS

Comment

Thanks for the lesson on how to use the fourm....
                    Kent

Comment

Working...
                    X