Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Secret serial number location.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Secret serial number location.

We had a topic not too long ago about the serial # location(s). I'd mentioned that late Stude cars (I don't know how far back, in years this practice went) had their serial number stamped into a frame cross-member besides having it on the VIN plate.
    While under the 58 wagon yesterday, I tried cleaning off the spot where this number's stamped but I didn't clean well enough to see it. Mainly 'cause I was tired of getting dirt and dust in my eyes and mouth at that point![xx(]
    Nonetheless - this photo shows WHERE this number is. Quite often it's VERY faintly stamped and consequently hard to see. Again - CARS only - not trucks.

http://images.andale.com/f2/115/106/...0_S2400401.JPG

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
    1960 Larkvertible V8
    1958 Provincial wagon
    1953 Commander coupe
    1957 President 2-dr
    1955 President State
    1951 Champion Biz cpe
    1963 Daytona project FS

I actually found the secret serial no. on my '55 coupe while installing the little valence panel a couple weeks ago. First one I've ever seen; will have to verify that it's the same as the one on the pillar (it's not *entirely* impossible that the car has had a frame swap as "hacked" as it is; but I doubt it as it has the early style springs and I don't see any signs of the body ever having been off.) I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that I'm fairly sure it's right and therefore the number was used as early as 1955 ('57 for sure; that's the newest this frame could be.)

nate

--
    55 Commander Starlight
    62 Daytona hardtop
    http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
    --
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

It exists, (and matches) on my '53.

Tom Bredehoft
      '53 Commander Coupe
      '60 Lark VI

Comment

I've had one reader send me a photo of his '54's secret number - and in that case, the number's on the flange closest to the gas tank. Go figure[}]. Maybe it was up to the discretion of the guy doin' it on a given day

Miscreant at large.

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe
        1957 President 2-dr
        1955 President State
        1951 Champion Biz cpe
        1963 Daytona project FS
        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Well Mr. Biggs I put both my 53 K's up on the rack and checked and found the numbers dead nuts center closest to the tank although the 8 was upside down on one, but the funny thing is one of my cars has the V number of the engine as a VIN insted of the plate on the door.

Comment

Many states, including New York, used the engine number as the VIN in the '50s. The plate on the A-pillar is a serial number. Especially on cars with an engine swap, I have changed the VIN listing over from the engine number to the serial number. The MVB used to ask me for a letter from an authorized dealer. I responded by saying that if they found the authorized Studebaker dealer, I would get the letter. They settled for a pencil tracing of the serial number plate. The build sheet from the SNM would be a better identifier because it gives both the serial number and engine number. You could use that as documentation for a VIN switch.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
            X