This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

quote:Originally posted by studeclunker

I don't know about the diesel oils, but according to the maintenence book using 50wt oil is not a good idea.[B)] I'll have to look elsewhere for oil apparently, because at NAPA the diesel oils are about 10 to 15 percent more expensive than regular.[V] I hate the place, but... maybe W... W.... WWWWalmart will carry it less expensively.[xx(] It might be better to check a few other places first.

Lotsa Larks!
    Studeclunker
    A.K.A: out2lunch

Best place to buy Rotella is a Farm store. Like Tractor Supply Co. or Orschelyns(sp??). They usually beat Wallyworld pricewise.

Comment

Curt,
      Yes indeed!! Studebaker owned STP. In fact Andy Granatelli was their spokesman. He was the original owner of STP, to my knowledge.
      As a matter of fact, toward the end of Studebaker, the STP division was very profitable to the corporation.
      Rog
      '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
      Smithtown,NY
      Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

It's really a statement to the nature of American business that the company had so many profitable subsidiaries and could'nt be kept alive.[V] In fact, the rumor is that the subsidiaries killed off the parent as it was decided to ditch auto manufacturing.[:0] A form of patricide. I haven't verified my facts on this. It's just what I heard. How American; cutthroat to the core.[}] Yet we can take comfort in that the subsidiaries that survive today are a small part of the parent. So I guess what I'm trying to say is that Studebaker isn't entirely dead. Just metamorphised.

You know, I just remembered seeing one of Andy's ads back in the 60's. In fact, he was driving a stude. The reason the car came to mind was my mother's comment;" He'd get there faster if he was'nt driving one of those Studeclunkers!" Mom hated Studebakers.

Lotsa Larks!
        Studeclunker
        Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
        K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
        Ron Smith
        Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

I have a TV commercial on tape somewhere that says STP stands for Studebaker Tested Products.

Comment

Gee... and I grew up thinking it was; Sticky Toilet Paper!

Lotsa Larks!
            Studeclunker
            Ron Smith

Comment

Reading what Studeclunker said, the subsidiaries of Studebaker were successful. That's very true. It's my understanding that the board of directors' mandate was to get out of the car business, even though the move to Hamilton, Ontario was kind of successful. I think that Studebaker was on the right track and may have even turned a profit from their Canadian operation. Correct me if I'm wrong.
              Rog
              '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
              Smithtown,NY
              Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

I may be extrapolating a bit too much here, but from a modern-day perspective it probably made sense for Stude to get out of the automobile business when they did. At least by 1966 for sure the writing was already on the wall, more and more safety and emissions regulations were going to be forced on the mfgrs. and there would be definite R&D costs associated with those that on a per unit basis would be far more costly for a small volume mfgr. than for a large volume mfgr. Sadly it's hard to argue with their decision.

Honestly, in retrospect, isn't it better to have Studes as they were and not to have to deal with the Stude equivalent of, say, big block Chevys putting out less than 200 HP or Chrysler's "lean burn" system? Let's be honest, by 1972 the fun was over and didn't come back for quite a while. AMC obviously didn't make it, and they were probably better positioned to put up a good fight as their product line included superior six and V-8 engines while at the end Studebaker was buying their engines from McKinnon. Sad but true.

nate

--
                55 Commander Starlight
                62 Daytona hardtop
                http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
                --
                55 Commander Starlight
                http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Perhaps you're right N8N. Still, the company was going in the right direction with thier cars. I don't mean the stupid styling decisions. Size and economy were Studebaker's strength. It's a pity the company did'nt have a chance to try though. The biggest problem was R & D. There is an old worn out adage; "To make money one must spend it." Money was there in the coporate structure that made up Studebaker and it's associates. They just did'nt want to spend it on a car company.

The emission standards were focused on the larger cars. Studes were considered economy cars. They would'nt have been effected till the late 70's if the company was careful. Moving back to sixes and maybe some fours would have pushed the emission problems till the very late 70's and early 80's. Performance would have been a problem. But what performed with a NOX device on it? Does anyone remember those?

Yes, the Lark could have been redesigned to be yet smaller. I seem to recall that by 1974 a smaller lark with a smaller motor (perhaps that OD tranny) would have sold like hotcakes!! What would I envision a studebaker to look like now? Probably a lot like what Chrysler is turning out. They would be plastic crapmobiles like everyone else is turning out. With a wee bit more competition, the current cars might be somewhat better though.

Lotsa Larks!
                  Studeclunker
                  Ron Smith

Comment

Working...
                  X