Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Bell housing ID requested

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bell housing ID requested

Greetings all,
    I have a mystery Studebaker bell housing, supposedly from a 61 Hawk 4-speed. The part # cast into the flange is: 1551117. It looks like a 4-speed housing, but I can't find this part # in my limited collection of parts manuals... Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Larry B.

The casting number is often not a part number, a pix of the transmission mounting flange would ID it for us. If it has the wide bolt pattern, it's the early 4 speed unit.

Studebaker On The Net http://stude.com
    64 R2 4 speed Challenger (Plain Wrapper)
    63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
    55 Speedster
    50 2R 10 truck
    JDP Maryland

Comment

The bell housing you have is for the four speed that came out in '61 and the first part of '62. These are the GM bolt pattern. The number on the housing is a casting number. The correct part number is 1552737. If you measure across the top bolt holes, yours will be about 8 1/4". The bottom holes will be about 9 1/4" and the top holes to bottom holes will be about 4 3/4".

The later '62, '63, and '64's with both the three and four speeds will be about 5 1/4" across the top and 6 1/4" across the bottom and 7 1/4" top to bottom. They have a casting number 1539082 and part number is 1539373 I think.

Comment

Working...
      X