This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oil filter

My new President has a different oil filter in place without the lines connected. The previous owner died.... Where does the inlet oil to the filer come off the block? I see two pipe plugs in the left head at the front. One is below thw water jacket,, the other is higher and above the water jacket.

The pressure line from the engine comes from the pipe plug facing towards the middle of the car on the front of the driver's side head. Same location as the oil pressure gauge line on the rear of the pass. side head if that makes any sense.

good luck

nate

--
    55 Commander Starlight
    62 Daytona hardtop
    --
    55 Commander Starlight
    http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

Thank you ,I will check, it sounds like it is the plug facing the midline of the engine and above the water jacket. Again thanks.

Comment

That's where the factory tapped the oil system (front of left head) but you could tap into any of the oil gallery plugs and get the same function. Since it's only partial flow, it doesn't really matter except for being close to the factory installation place for the filter cannister.
        Don't forget that one of the fittings on the input line HAS to be a restricted fitting - unless you wanna lose alot of your oil pressure thru the filter system![:0]
        The return line connects to the hole near the base of the oil filler pipe.

Miscreant at large.
        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Restricted fitting, I know nothing about. Where does one get a restricted fitting?

Comment

I FORGOT TO INCLUDE A RESTRICTED FITTING ON A '52 V8 WHEN I ADDED AN OIL FILTER AND REBUILT THE ENGINE. AFTER START UP I WASN'T IMPRESSED W THE OIL PRESS. THEN I BEGAN TROUBLE SHOOTING,AND DISCOVERED WHAT I FORGOT TO INCLUDE.. A RESTRICTED FITTING. WHEN I REPLACED IT, THE O/P INCREASED TO ACCEPTABLE READINGS.
            I WENT TO A JUNK YARD AND GOT A FITTING (90 DEGREE BRASS) OFF A V8 CAR WITH THE PARTIAL FLOW FILTER. THIS IS THE FITTING ON THE LEFT HEAD, AT THE FRONT. IT HAS A SMALLER OROFICE THAN YOUR AVERAGE BRASS FITTING.

Comment

The filter canaster that the previous owner was putting on has a return tube inside the filter with a hole. This one hole is at most 1/25 of an inch ( 1 mm). Is this enough restricton of oil flow? This small hole is the only way for oil to go from the filter to the crank case.

Comment

CURT- THE 90 DEGREE BRASS FITTING ON THE V8 HEADS HAVE AN APPROX. 3/32" ORIFICE. THIS ALLOWS ENOUGH BACK PRESSURE TO SUPPLY THE REST OF THE CYLINDER HEAD ROCKER ASSY. W/OIL. I'M NOT SURE ABOUT THE INSIDE HOLE IN THE FILTER, THO. YOUR SAFEEST BET IS TO FIND A FITTING OFF A PARTS CAR, PERHAPS SOMEONE HERE AT THE FORUM CAN HELP, OR TRY THE STUDEBAKER PARTS SWAP PAGE. I HAVE ONE, BUT THE THREADS ARE SHOT.

Comment

My 90 degree has a 4/32 inch opening, sound OK?? Please say NO if you feal that way.[V]or[^]??

Comment

CURT-YOU COULD GIVE IT A TRY AND SEE WHAT KIND OF OIL PRESSURE YOU GET, COMPARED TO BEFORE YOU INSTALL IT. IF IT'S ABOUT THE SAME, I'D GO FOR IT. IF IT DROPS SIGNIFICANTLY, LOOK FOR AN ORIGINAL TYPE 90.

Comment

If you can't find a restricted fitting - make one. Take an appropriate-sized brass elbow and silver-solder the male end of it shut. Then use a small drill bit to drill thru the silver solder. I've heard the exact size of the hole, but can't recall it or find my reference for it. I wanna say .040" or thereabouts.

Miscreant at large.
                      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

One of the venders in Flordia has the elbows, I found him in the club's internet listings, $4.95 or something like that.

Comment

Working...
                        X