Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Replacing an OHV 6 with a Flathead?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing an OHV 6 with a Flathead?

We all know the design flaws of the venerable OHV six(it's all in your head man)but would you, the Studebaker tinkerer, just for a few extra cubic inches and perhaps reducing an aggrivation or two replace an OHV six with a Champ 185 flathead of 55-58 vintage in a vehicle that will not accept a V8.

Jeff T.

"I'm getting nowhere as fast as I can"
    The Replacements.

If you are going flathead, why not a 245?

Comment

IF THE OHV IS BEYOND REPAIR,AND YOU ARE NOT WORRIED ABOUT ORIGINALITY, THEN YES, I WOULD REPLACE W/A FLATHEAD. ONE FROM A 59-60 LARK SHOULD FIT RIGHT IN, THO THEY ARE BACK TO 169. THE 185 HAD A LONGER STROKE, THUS SOME CONSIDERED THE 169 A LITTLE BETTER FOR HIGH REVVING.
      P.S. I LOVE THE SOUND OF A FLATHEAD 6!

Comment

The first Stude engine I ever built was a Champion in a 52 sedan. I used to love to drive that thing in circles in a huge nearby parking lot with my head hanging out the window so I could listen to the purr of that little 170! That's such a sweet little motor![]

Miscreant at large.
        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I have a flathead 6 out of a 59 Lark in case you decide you are going to make the switch and are in need of one. Located in Iowa

Joel
          1958 Champion
          1961 Champ
          1962 Champ

Comment

Working...
          X