Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Window Regulators

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Window Regulators

Question: What are the hardest to find post-war window regulators?

Answer: Those for the driver and passenger side doors of a 1963 Daytona Convertible.

Can anybody help me with this? I found a source that sells rebuilt ones w/ exchange, for $100 each! Youch! Mine "skip" like crazy and the driver's side won't go up or down without manual (my hand) assistance.

Thanks.

'63 Daytona Convertible

The driver's door regulators are the one's that poop out first. And that's understandable.[V]

Miscreant at large.
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

If your problem is that the teeth on the big sector are worn, you can build them up with braze and then grind them to the proper shape. This fix lasts for years with normal use.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I've been able to sawp the 'guts' (The gear parts)from more popular regulators by a little creative work. BTW, $100 each for rebuilt is cheap compared to even less rare NOS regulators.

64 Challenger (Green Wrapper)
        63 R2 4 speed GT Hawk
        55 Speedster
        50 2R 10 truck
        JDP Maryland

Comment

I agree with JDP, 100 dollars isn't bad. For our 1960 Lark, we ordered a passenger door regulator from Stude-International and that was around 100 or 125 dollars. However, if the window works afterwords, its well worth it IMO.

Nate

Comment

Thanks y'all. Not that handy with welding, so I'll probably go with the rebuilds. [^]

'63 Daytona Convertible

Comment

After many months of fruitless searching, I have about decide to send my regulators off to be rebuilt. My friends at Stephen Allen's will do it for $95 per regulator (less shipping costs). I guess I'll go for that. Any comments regarding SA's work, etc. or is there a better source for this rebuild?

Now.... I've removed the inside door panels and see that there is not much in the way of an obvious procedure to removing the regulators. I have a shop manual which hopefully will walk me through the removal and installations process, but thought I'd ask the "old pros" for possible insider tips on this. Can anyone offer any suggestions on getting these regulators out/in that might be more helpful than the manual's instructions.

Thanks guys...

'63 Daytona Convertible

Comment

Saw a car recently, where the original winding mech's had been replaced by a modern wire rope type electrical set-up. Was really neat and very cost effective (from a late model Ford car, actually). Thinking about it for my Hawk.
                / H

Comment

i really don't think there is an easy way to get the regulator out, i have pulled mine one day then the next day try take it out the same way and didn't work out. you'll struggle for a while then bam, just pops out. i feed a bungy down into the door to hold the glass up all the way and remove the bottom bolt of the forward chrome, that way you can get the gear and crank mount down to the bottom of the door. good luck.

slow64
                  1964 lark daytona
                  bd_marks@yahoo.com

Comment

quote:Originally posted by benny_64

i really don't think there is an easy way to get the regulator out, i have pulled mine one day then the next day try take it out the same way and didn't work out. you'll struggle for a while then bam, just pops out. i feed a bungy down into the door to hold the glass up all the way and remove the bottom bolt of the forward chrome, that way you can get the gear and crank mount down to the bottom of the door. good luck.

slow64
                    1964 lark daytona
                    bd_marks@yahoo.com
                    Regulator update:
                    Well, I made my first attempt at removing the passenger's side regulator, and failed miserably.
                    I went right by the manual and had the dang thing disconnected and in my hand in the access port, but could not get it to clear the forward window guide. I even went so far as to remove all the hardware securing the guide but still could not get the clearance needed to get the regulator out. Woe-is-me! This is a pain in the butt!

I will regroup and try it again this weekend. Ahhh - the joys of old cars.

Jim's pride....
                    1963 Daytona Convertible

Comment

You know... I have a '63 wagon with the same problem. I for one will be watching this thread very closely.[8)]

Lotsa Larks!
                      K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                      Ron Smith
                      Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                      K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                      Ron Smith
                      Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

I think you have to pull the vent window to remove the regulator, but this is based on working on a '62 not a '63. I am aware the doors are different but maybe that didn't change.

nate

--
                        55 Commander Starlight
                        62 Daytona hardtop
                        http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
                        --
                        55 Commander Starlight
                        http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

I had to pull the vent window out of the 61 hawk to get the regulator out,not the same car,but close to same design...
                          Got an NOS left regulator at SB swap meet for $75.00

Home of the Almostahawk
                          Oglesby,Il.

Comment

I have a 63 Lark that I changed the window channel & rebuilt the regulators myself. I used a donor regulators from rear doors. I drilled out the rivits on the both the hand crank gear & the main regulator gear. I just tack welded them back together. Even if you don't have a welder you can do everything else & take it to a welding shop for a couple of quick tacks.

Gordon

Comment

I forgot to say you do have to remove the vent windows.[:I]

Comment

Working...
                              X