Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

52 champion rearend /replacement

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 52 champion rearend /replacement

i have a 52 stude champion with a locked up/froze up rearend it measures 56.5 hub to hub . anyone no of a modern (85 or newer )rearend that will fit close to the same size

You can use a later Stude rear end, there are many ratios to choose from. Also the later V8's had better brakes. I changed out my '52 Commander's 4:55 to a later 3:54 ( I only use OD on the freeway now).

Comment

It seems to me that I've read of guys using a Fairlane/Meteor rear with no more than moving the spring perches. Actualy, finding a replacement original rear shouldn't be too hard. What part of the country are you in[?] Maybe we can come up with a source close to you.[^]

Miscreant at large.
      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I was out back amidst my Stude stash awhile ago and I found a good rear axle out of a '52 Champion. It's got 4.56 gears, which is what they used with an OD 3-spd tranny. It's for sale. If you're in California, you could maybe drive here and claim it. If not, shipping would be a bear and I'm not up to prepping it and lugging it to a shipper.

Miscreant at large.
        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

thanks MRBIGGS but im from MO and im looking for something newer more modern and would like 5x4.5 bolt as well so i can use the org rims ....but thanks for the info

Comment

You could always use a Dana 35C from a Jeep Cherokee.

Comment

Check on a early 90's Ford Ranger 2-wheel drive rearend. It's an 8.8 with the same bolt pattern as the Stude wheels, plus it even looks like the Stude rear.

Darryl C. Lewallen
              Darryl C. Lewallen Clarkesville, Ga.

Comment

i know its the wrong pattern but an s-10 rearend fit perfectly in my 50 no need to change perches or anything its 54" hub to hub (i needed 2" extra space for bigger rims and tires

Also a ford maverick (same bolt circle as stud ) is 56" hub to hub
                and looks to fit farly easily

good luck

Comment

Good Luck is right, when was the last time you saw a Ford Maverick???

Comment

i dont know off hand wheres hes at but the junkyards are full of em here in tx

Comment

thanks again for the replys . i have measured the s-10 and its 54.5 after measuring the car i have about 1" inboard and 2.5 outside but im holding out for the same size 56.5 i will be checking the boneyard for 90's rangers and mavericks and will measure all i can find

Comment

like i said ive been scowering the boneyards for something with a rearend narrow enough for months and mavericks ARE 56 maybe 56.5 not sure but i know they are in the 56's

hey good luck

Comment

Working...
                        X