Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Clutch pedal travel

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch pedal travel

The clutch, on my 50 champ, catches very high in the pedal travel but it does not seem to slip. It has about one inch of free travel when depressing the pedal, which, I think, is about right. Is it normal for the clutch pedal to come up so high before engagement starts?

Thanks,
    Dick

It's a matter of adjustment, clutch, pressure plate and flywheel wear and personal preference. As long as it's not slipping under load, I don't see a real problem with it. You could PROBABLY adjust the linkage to make it catch earlier as the pedal comes up.

Miscreant at large.
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

It works just fine and doesn't slip under a load. Just not what i'm used to. I've tried to adjust it so it catches sooner but then the pedal doesn't rise to where it should be when released.

Thanks Mr. Biggs for the feedback.

Dick

Dick
      Mountain Home, AR
      http://www.livingintheozarks.com/studebaker2.htm

Comment

If the pedal's not coming all the way back up after engagement, quite likely, the pedal return spring's broken or missing altogether!

Miscreant at large.
        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Check the coupling on the clutch pedal shaft. There are two pins in it, each at right angles to the other. Usually one of these pins will break because the zerk fitting in the bellhousing never gets lubricated. radioRoy
          RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
          10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
          10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
          4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
          5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
          56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
          60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Working...
          X