Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

how many tools ya got?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how many tools ya got?

A guy asked me one time "How much ya got in tools?" I replied " I really don't know but I'm resonably certain I could have bought a Maserati or a couple of Jags". Now why don't I have a socket or wrench that I can tighten the crank bolt on my 232 with? I bought a new 11/16 bolt and washer from a Stude vendor to replace a missing one. It has an 1 1/2 head. It just fits in the hole in the hub with maybe a 32nd clearance between the points of the hex and the hub. Do I have the wrong bolt or the wrong hub?[V]
    Thanks
    Dwight

where there's foo there's fire

Ahhh... What "hub" are you talking about??? That bolt head should tighten up against a copper washer and under that, a steel "eared" lockplate. All this tightens up against the frontmost (only?) pulley that sits on the front of the harmonic balancer assembly (two rubbers and a steel disc)
    [:I]

It doesn't tighten up against the crank hub itself.

Miscreant at large.
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

OoooKay Here's what I got. A steel hub, maybe cast, about 4 3/4" in diameter that slides over the crank snout. The center is counterbored about 3/4" and does accept the washer (11/16 x 1 3/4 x 5'16) and bolt (11/16 x1 1/2) I bought. The bolt threads into the end of the crank about 3/4" It has six 5/16 uss holes that hold on a 8" single groove pulley. I see in my 54 Motors Manual what you say, but the center hole in the pulley I have fits over the countersunk boss on the hub.
      so I guess what your telling me is that a bunch of stuff is missing and the search goes on.
      Thanks again
      Dwight

Comment

Yup - you's missing "stuff". let me take a photo of the front of a V8 and send it to you.

Miscreant at large.
        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Thanks Mr Biggs
          My e-mail is dwrcjohnson@msn.com
          Dwight

Comment

Photos sent. Anyone else wanna see them, let me know.

Miscreant at large.

Comment

Working...
            X