This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• overdrive problems...

I have switched out my old tranny because the syncronizers were bad. The new one is an OverDrive as well.[8D] The problem is that it doesn't engage the OD. Also I have noticed that really annoying buzzing no longer occurs under the dash before I engage the OD. Is there something under the dash I need to replace?
    This tranny is in a 1964 Canadian commander stationwagon. It has a V8 (I think 254) and is 3 on the tree. Help! The milage is horrible without O.D.[}]

Lotsa Larks!!

Ronald K. Smith

What year vehicle is this?[?] The 64 models used a differnt overdrive circuit and components than any 63 or earlier cars. If this tranny has it's original governor near it's very rear end, it should have TWO wires to it - which is different from everything BEFORE 1964. Trying to make those late components interface with earlier hardware would be a problem.
    This "buzzing" you say you've heard before. Might be the O/D relay if this is a '57 or earlier car. Trouble with that theory is that the tranny's are alike in operation but different in configuration thru 1957. With the '58 models, the trannies are physically configured the same as those used thru 1966 (Standrd shift transes, of course) but they also dropped the relay with the onset of 1958 and basically incorporated the relay's functions INto the solenoid.[^]

Miscreant at large.
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Whatever it is that converts DC to AC for the old valve radios (as in my Speedster) makes a noise like a hornet in a jam jar.
      Peter.

Comment

Thanks Peter. That's exactly what it sounds like.
        When the OD is engaged the buzzing slowly dies away and one can feel the OD kick in (freewheel).[8D]
        There are two solonoids on this and the previous transmission. The larger is forward and has three wires on it. One of which is a ground that attaches to the frame. The smaller is in the rear and has two modular socketed wires. Both are hooked up the same as the old unit. It just does'nt engage.

Lotsa Larks!!
        Studeclunker
        Ron Smith

Comment

Oh! I forgot!! The car in question is a '64 Canadian Commander Wagon. It originally had a V8 (289?), with three on the tree overdrive tranny.[8D]

The previous owner did a lot of custom wiring.[)] Some of it not so good. I've already pulled out the radio he installed as the wiring for it caused several fires.[V] I've removed as much of the 'custom' wiring as I can find.

Lotsa Larks!!
          Studeclunker
          Ron Smith

Comment

Ya know - if it's true that the wiring of this car was "modified", I could beat my head against the keyboard - trying to troubleshoot something that ain't there!
            Are you using the OD solenoid and governor that was on the previous tranny? If not, I'd try swapping them on before you do anything else.
            Do tell.

Miscreant at large.
            No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Well that certainly makes sense. I've gone on a search and destroy mission for the 'custom wiring' and largely eliminated it. As much as possible I have used the wiring diagrams in the manual to return things to what they originally were.

I haven't a problem replacing the solonoids, it's just, how does one remove the smaller rearmost solonoid? I can't see any nuts or bolts, no screws, nothing.

Lotsa Larks!!
              Studeclunker
              Ron Smith

Comment

That "solenoid" at the rear is actualy called a "Governor". It's a simple on-off switch really - whose contacts are operated by centrifugal force. As it spins to a certain RPM, the flywieghts in it yield to the centirfugal force and close the contacts. This is really the "automatic" part of "Automatic Overdrive" on Studebakers.
                Anyway, you disconnect the wiring and then using channelock pliers (or the appropriate-sized wrench, if you have one that big) grip the hex section, near the base, and unscrew the whole unit! [:0]
                Pretty simple really - just clean off any dirt that's on or above it so it doesn't fall inside the tranny when you remove the governor.

Miscreant at large.

Comment

Working...
                X