Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

V-8 Block Deck Thickness

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V-8 Block Deck Thickness

Anyone know the block deck thickness on the 259/289 V-8 and the cylinder bore centerline dimensions?

Start and Stage Your Studebakers

The bore centerline is 4.5 inches. I will need to look to see what the nominal deck thickness is. You should measure it if you need to know for sure on a particular engine. By the way the deck height is 10.065 /10.060 as it left the factory.

David L
    David L

Comment

Ok thanks, the new GM Rocket SBC racing blocks have a .625" thick deck with .275 cylinder walls and I was curious as to how an old Stude block compared.

Comment

I went out in the garage and measured 2 V8 blocks I happen to have sitting there. Tough to get an exact measurement given the figure with the tool I had at hand but it looks like they're a shade over .4" in thinckness. I measured anywhere from .4" to .425"

Miscreant at large.
        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Mr. Biggs, for those of us who are uninformed as to what term "deck thickness" means, can you enlighten us?
          Thanks,
          Dan

1960 Lark Convertible
          1962 GT Hawk
          Dan Peterson
          Montpelier, VT
          1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
          1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)

Comment

Deck thickness = the distance between the top machined surface of the block (head gasket sealing surface) and the very uppermost part of the water jacket. Thicker = better for strength, although not necessarily for weight or heat transfer.

nate

--
            55 Commander Starlight
            62 Daytona hardtop
            http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
            --
            55 Commander Starlight
            http://members.cox.net/njnagel

Comment

The area next to the cylinder walls is 11/32 or about .344 per the drawings. There is of course some tolerance on this so they can be thinner or thicker. When I get a chance I will measure a few blocks to see how they check out.

David L
              David L

Comment

Thanks for the interest on this. Has anyone cut up a scrap block into segments for close study? I have cut a head up and the "autopsy" was quite revealing as to where the meat and bones are in the structure. The more I study these blocks the more impressed I am with the standard 232 block size especially for superboosting.

Comment

Unless you have a useless block I wouldn't like to see on cut to check for thickness. If someone wants to know some dimmensions I can supply them. I have never seen a block that had less thickness than specified. You can also use ultrasonic testing to find out how thick an actual block is in various locations.

David L
                  David L

Comment

Working...
                  X