Announcement

Collapse

Get more Tips, Specs and Technical Data!

Did you know... this Forum is a service of the Studebaker Drivers Club? For more technical tips, specifications, history and tech data, visit the Tech Tips page at the SDC Homepage: www.studebakerdriversclub.com/tips.asp
See more
See less

Polishing/Waxing the Avanti's laquer paint- UPDATE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Polishing/Waxing the Avanti's laquer paint- UPDATE

UPDATE AT LAST POST

OK ... I just "finished" (because I was about to pass out) waxing the
    back half of the Avanti and the roof. The black laquer paint shines
    up REALLY nicely, but isnt there an easier way? I have always done it
    by hand, no machine. I am considering the machine. The reason that I
    have always done by hand, is that around the windows, the paint is
    chipping, and I am afraid of picking up a paint chip and making swirl
    marks before I realize whats happening (ask me how I know). By hand
    I can catch this before its an issue, with a machine - ick. Anyone an
    expert on detailing that can steer me toward something that might be
    helpful for this situation. No, painting the car right now is not an
    option, I have plenty of more important things to spend money on with
    this car, than a paint job before pulling an engine.

Thanks!

Tom (my back is killing me)
    '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
    Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
    http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
    I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Thers no better way than by hand on old paint. you saw the Karate kid. Wax on left hand.wax off right hand....hehehehe...

Comment

I wax my cars by hand. I like McQuires products. I use their Tech. wax, their cleaner and their scratch remover to. Good for light surface scratches and swirls. I have tryed just about everything out there and these products seem to work best for me. I also use the spray waxes between times.

GARY H 2DR.SEDAN 48 STUDEBAKER CHAMPION NORTHEAST MD.

Comment

There are polishing pads for use with el sanders. They are often used by car detailing people. It's quick and easy, just the thing to cut down on time. I'm not sure they'd save your back much, though.
        BUT, there's a tendency to rub through on edges, making your paint work looking decidedly poor. Like Gary and Karl said, the old hand method is the best.
        /H

Comment

Definitley hand buff. IMO, random orbital electric buffers don't work worth a crap. The electric grinders that can double as a buffer, with an attachment change and a sheepskin cap, will burn through lacquer in a heartbeat, if you're not experienced in using one.
          Not worth the risk of screwing up a nice paint job..
          64 GT Hawk (K7)
          1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Tom,
            If you happen to see any of those Chip Foose/Boyd Coddington shows where thay do all that stuff, yes they do hand SAND (aka, color sand) the top coat of paint,(clear) but you'll see they all use polishers most all with the foam pads, not the wool ones...they will burn the paint and they are harder to use. First the "polisher" you need should be no more than 1700 RPMs. The ones that have 2 speeds are sometimes not slow enough.The ones I refer to and use, are like a grinder, but NOT 3000 RPM! Meguier"s(sp) has any of the polishes you need as well as the back-up plates and foam pads for the machine. I've been using the foam pads for years with an old B&D polisher (1750 RPM), works great..no chips, scratches, swirls...just a mirror finish. Hope this helps.
            Dan

Road Racers turn left AND right.

Comment

I always use Meguiars, and have very good luck with them as well, when
              I got my Avanti, the laquer looked like black primer. I tried Turtle
              Wax and couldnt get the crap off! My boss at the time suggested the
              3 step Meguiars system, and it worked! (even got the Turtle wax off!)
              I have always done them by hand, but I have heard good things about a
              power buffer. After pushing REALLY hard on the paint by hand, & seeing
              the good results, I thought maybe it needs a little "more" cut to it.

http://www.meguiars.com/

Thanks for the replies guys ... I will shop around tomorrow, I have a
              really bad headache now .. think I will take a nap.

Tom
              '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
              Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
              I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

Good night Tom.[8D]
                Dan

Road Racers turn left AND right.

Comment

Like Dan said, if you want to try a power buffer, low rpm and foam (foam) pads, not wool.

Brad Johnson
                  Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                  33 Rockne 10
                  51 Commander Starlight
                  53 Commander Starlight

previously: 63 Cruiser, 62 Regal VI, 60 VI convertible, 50 LandCruiser
                  "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                  Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                  sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

Next time you are at a show, look for someone using DWG (Dri-Wash n Guard)....
                    http://www.dwgint.com/xauto.shtml?di...torId=&Email=#

Video link: http://www.mydwgint.com/global/mpg/driwashcar.mpg
                    Instructions: http://www.mydwgint.com/global/instructions.asp#1010
                    Ask him/her to let you use it for a bit on your car.
                    Stuff looks like milk.
                    It will pull off orange peel and is truly amazing stuff.
                    Buffs up great and leaves no white stuff behind.
                    Works on chrome, rubber, glass, stainless..
                    I used mine on a red Avanti at the Turkey Rod Run a while back and it worked so well the guy sold the thing there...
                    Not pushing the stuff, just quantifying how well it works.

DEEPNHOCK at Cox.net
                    Ocala, FL.[u](For ONE more week!)</u>
                    '37 Coupe Express (never ending project)
                    '37 Coupe Express Trailer (project)
                    '61 Hawk (project)
                    http://community.webshots.com/user/deepnhock

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

As some of you reading this post know, I got the exhaust back together
                      and the Avanti into the garage to polish/wax. I went and looked at a
                      few polishing machines, but couldnt find one that spins less then 2000
                      rpm, so I bought some Meguiars "Paint Cleaner" & went to town by hand.
                      This product works a LOT faster then their stage 2 polish. I got the
                      whole car done tonight, so tomorrow I can do the stage 2 polish & then
                      the stage 3 wax. Here is a shot before, you can see the blueish hue
                      fog in the paint at the shiney areas :

Here is after the Paint Cleaner, the blueish hue is gone, leaving the
                      car a deep black. God I love this stuff. So if you have oxidized
                      paint, START with the Paint Cleaner, NOT the polish (like they say![B)])

Tom

Comment

Just finished polishing the whole car, and I sprayed the wheel wells.

Tom

Comment

Working...
                        X