This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1951 Champ

I am new to this site and to Studebakers.
    My Champ has a running flat 6 and I will be rewiring everything and installing a Turner brake kit. I want to change from 6volt pos ground to 12voly neg. I need some input on what I need to do to the starter and also the distributor, I want a better ignition system, and I may also be updating the instrument panel. Ok here is the crazy part; I have a Kaiser Supercharger that I will be installing on the 6.

Aaron http://www.aaroneckhoff.com

Generally speaking the starter will work fine on 12volts. As you will be using less amps than with 6volts.(Thats why six volt wiring is usually of heavy gauge).

For better ignition check with Bill Cathcart

Find his website here:

or here:

Comment

Ok but with the starter being pos ground will that matter?

quote:Originally posted by Transtar60

Generally speaking the starter will work fine on 12volts. As you will be using less amps than with 6volts.(Thats why six volt wiring is usually of heavy gauge).

For better ignition check with Bill Cathcart

Find his website here:

or here:
      Aaron

Comment

No, it won't matter. It'll still turn in the same direction and it will spin alot faster than it does with 6volts.
        The polarity switch won't bother the distributor either, just install an ignition resistor as you would find on a 12volt car.
        You'll have to change the W/S wiper motor but that's easy as the '56 thru '60 motors on the sedans are a straight across swap and they're 12volt units.[^]
        The McCullough supercharger will be neat and there might even have been a kit to mount one on a Stude 6 at one time. The Stude Golden Hawks and some Packards of '57-'58 used that same basic S/charger from the factory. The challenge will be fabricating the mount, the tension arm and the right pulleys to make it work on the Champion engine.

Miscreant at large.
        No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Thank you that helps a bunch..
          I would attach a photo but I can't figure that out either.

quote:Originally posted by Mr.Biggs

No, it won't matter. It'll still turn in the same direction and it will spin alot faster than it does with 6volts.
          The polarity switch won't bother the distributor either, just install an ignition resistor as you would find on a 12volt car.
          You'll have to change the W/S wiper motor but that's easy as the '56 thru '60 motors on the sedans are a straight across swap and they're 12volt units.[^]
          The McCullough supercharger will be neat and there might even have been a kit to mount one on a Stude 6 at one time. The Stude Golden Hawks and some Packards of '57-'58 used that same basic S/charger from the factory. The challenge will be fabricating the mount, the tension arm and the right pulleys to make it work on the Champion engine.

Miscreant at large.
          Aaron

Comment

Aaron - Please refer to my reply in the General Forum to your similar question.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

will do

quote:Originally posted by studegary

Aaron - Please refer to my reply in the General Forum to your similar question.
              Aaron

Comment

Working...
              X