This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Pressure 1926 Standard Six

Does anyone know what the oil pressure should be for a 1926 Standard Six Studebaker? I have just finished rebuilding the engine. I used a pressure guage (0-30PSI) and a drill to turn the oil pump all I can
    get is 15PSI. Is this correct?

I check all of the books I have and cannot find anything about
    oil pressure in PSI.

Thanks
    Ken Gasch
    6466 Westlake Ave
    Dallas, TX 75214
    214-821-9013

Ken,
    The Model ER-25 Standard Six Owners Manual indicates under the "Engine Oil Pressure Gauge" section that:

"The gauge should read "2" at 25 mile per hour after the oil is warm. If it shows no reading whatever on speeding the engine above ten miles per hour, stop the engine immediately."

It goes on to indicate that in the event of no oil pressure above 10 mph the oil pump should be primed and the the oil pressure relief valve should be cleaned. This is also confirmed in the Standard Six Service Manual which has a sections on both "Oil pressure too low" and "Oil pressure too high", both of which indicate the "2" reading on the gauge at 25 mph with the engine warmed up.

I know the Light Sixes used a partial "splash" oil lubrication system and only required enough pressure to pump the oil to the main bearings and up into the splash pan. The oil pressure gauge on the Light Sixes only read up to "5" lbs of pressure maximum. As I recall the Standard Six (which used the same basic engine as the Light Six) was modified to eliminate the splash lubrication and provide oil directly to the rod bearings, however I'm not sure when Studebaker went to a "high" pressure lubrication system. Perhaps others can answer that question.

1960 Lark Convertible
    1962 GT Hawk
    Dan Peterson
    Montpelier, VT
    1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
    1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)

Comment

Dpson

Thanks for the info. You stated that the guage should read "2" at
      25 miles per hour. Does this equate to 2 PSI or it just a
      scale on the oil puressure guage??????

This engine has oil passages in the block and crankshaft for
      pressure lubrication.

Thanks
      Ken Gasch
      6466 Westlake Ave
      Dallas, TX 75214
      214-821-9013

Comment

Ken,
        I have always "assumed" that the pressure readings on oil gauges of that era, regardless of make or model, were in lbs (psi). I beleive the oil guages used in the Light Six were also used by Dodge and it would be hard to beleive that the two different manufacturers would share some type of "made up" scale such that a "2" on guage was equivalent to some number of psi.

Dan

1960 Lark Convertible
        1962 GT Hawk
        Dan Peterson
        Montpelier, VT
        1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
        1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)

Comment

Dan

Thanks for the info. I can see that I have enough oil pressure.

Ken Gasch
          6466 Westlake Ave
          Dallas, TX 75214
          214-821-9013

Comment

Working...
          X